PDA

View Full Version : 67 RS headlight trouble

navyflyer72
11-11-2005, 10:24 AM
I just finished wiring my front end, using the Painless RS headlight door relay kit and I used another 2 relays to wire the headlights themselves (I have the DS&E bright driver lights). Well I attached the battery and pulled the headlight switch and one headlight door opens (driver side) and no headlights come on, when I push the headlight switch to off the door that opened doesn't close. I checked my grounds and fuses, what should my next step be? Everything else seems to work fine, so far, except the left turn signal comes on steady, not flashing, but the right one flashes. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-George

paul67
11-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Try disconnecting the headlight relays and wire them without. see what happenes as they could be interfering on a back door path, also the faulty left could be pointing to the fault.
paul67

navyflyer72
11-11-2005, 02:30 PM
I was just rereading through some relay install posts here and one said that both 87 and 87a should go to ground, I saw an install diagram that only showed 87 going to ground so I completely removed the wire/connector for 87a from the headlight relays, could this be causing my problem?
George

NOPE, DON'T DO THAT! I JUST HOOKED 87A UP TO GROUND AND SMOKE CHECKED 2 RELAYS AND A FOOT OF WIRING! But I did manage to get the headlights to come on after I rewired two new relays (I had forgot to hook the headlight wiring up to the junction block, but now my dimmer switch is acting as my on/off switch. Did I ever tell you guys that I REALLY don't like wiring! And the "painless" relay kit for the headlight doors is doing a bang-up job, they open when I pull the headlight switch out, but then they stay open when I push the switch back in... anyone? I was hoping to drive this car down to Florida for Thanksgiving weekend, but things aren't going so well. I sure hope the engine starts when the time comes.

paul67
11-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Let me see if i can find my diagram.
paul67

paul67
11-12-2005, 02:30 AM
only 1 of the relays is connected to 87a.
paul67

navyflyer72
11-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Any chance you can tell which relay has the wire from 87a? Does it have the tan or green wires going to it (hi or low beam)? That would be one of my problems. And where does the wire from 87a go on that relay? Thanks for the help.
-George

paul67
11-12-2005, 11:44 AM
The problem is that my limit switch are different,but here goes the relay that closes the door is wired,
1, 30 to motor
2,85 to feed and 85 on relay that opens door
3,86 connected to 87a on same relay and connected to 86,87 on
relay that opens door and also goes to earth.
4, close door relay 87 goes to limit switch .
5,open door relay 87a goes to same contact but on other the other limit switch.
paul67, if this is hard will try to email diagram on to site

paul67
11-12-2005, 12:01 PM
try this,this is what took the instructions from.
paul67