PDA

View Full Version : Gear Vendors OD vs. 4L80E Transbrake?

rockertype
11-10-2005, 04:23 PM
I really wanted to install a 4L80E in my 67. Unfortunately, it seems that no transbrakes are available yet for this transmission. I want something bulletproof & with some type of overdrive. I'm now considering using a "Gear Vendors" unit with my TH400. Does anyone run this combo? It's operation seems a bit confusing ("splitting" gears). Shifting, pushing buttons, ect. Are they easy to use? I really just want an overdrive for cruising but I must also have my transbrake! Can I just shift normally then use the GV's overdrive for cruising? :dunno:

Any pointers would help!

Steve1968LS2
11-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Good points of Gear Vendors unit:

Bulletproof.. will never break
You can use a stronger trans like a TH400

Bad points

More weight
Expensive

Good points of 4L80e

Can be built very strong
Smoother overdrive transitions..

================

I had a TH400/GV combo in Penny.. it was ok but the gear splitting deal gave me a headache.. Ive heard they have some sort of auto system now. The OD funtion was great and made a huge difference. When it came on it was pretty mellow but when it kicked off it made a loud clunk. For BIG hp levels it's THE way to go.. for most guys a built up 4L80e would not only be fine but less expensive and easier to install.

Using the OD on the GV was easy to do (push a button with the system on).. splitting the gears was more trouble than it was worth..

How about a line lock instead of the trans brake?

rockertype
11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the Gear Vendors info. The OD feature is what got me wanting one. I've actually just been informed that a transbrake IS available for the 4L80E! I think this is what I'll be using.

When you're staged at the starting lights, both the line lock & transbrake are activated. When you release the button - both let go. You'd never be able to launch at 3500-4000 RPM with a line lock alone!
:firefire: