PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen camaro dse quadralink shock choice

icemanrd19
08-06-2016, 12:36 PM
What is shock and spring are you running on your quadralink? I have my car pretty low and it almost to the point of bottoming out. The front spring and shock combo feels great on my subframe but the rear seems almost bouncing and when hitting a dip little swirly. Car has yet to dail in the alignment but i just wanted to start a discussion on it.

My buddies 69 isn't as low as mine on the rear but his rides little bit better. I think he has the single adjustable shocks on his.

Are the upgrade shock options that come with the kit make a huge difference?

What do you have and how does your car feel?

dhutton
08-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Your shock needs to be more or less centered in its travel at ride height. It sounds like you are probably too low and bouncing off the bumpstops. The ride will suck and it's hard for adjustment of a shock to fix lack of travel.

Other thing is make sure the adjuster is not so low that the spring is not properly seated/captured at full drop.

Maybe the experts will chime in...

Don

icemanrd19
08-06-2016, 06:44 PM
the spring is seated correctly. I think i just need to up my rear height but i don't want to. Would be nice to have a shorter body shock

dhutton
08-07-2016, 05:38 AM
the spring is seated correctly. I think i just need to up my rear height but i don't want to. Would be nice to have a shorter body shock

Shorter shock really doesn't help. A shock with one inch of travel at ride height will suck whether it has two or four inches of total travel. Ideally you would have to relocate the shock mounts which opens a whole new can of worms.

Don

icemanrd19
08-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Shorter shock really doesn't help. A shock with one inch of travel at ride height will suck whether it has two or four inches of total travel. Ideally you would have to relocate the shock mounts which opens a whole new can of worms.

Don

Shorter as in the body of the shock. Say if now i have the top of the shock at point " A " i would see " X " amount of the rod sticking out now if i switch to a shorter body shock by lowering point " A " my rod " X " would be exposed more thus creating more travel.

Atleast thats the way i picture it in my head

icemanrd19
08-08-2016, 05:41 PM
while at ride height i can get my pinky between the shock body and bump stop. I need a shorter coil over

dhutton
08-09-2016, 03:01 AM
Damn that is low. Have you checked your driveline angles at that ride height? How much driveshaft clearance to the top of the tunnel?

It is quite difficult to tuck the tire into the wheel wells on a 67-68.

Don

icemanrd19
08-09-2016, 05:30 AM
You know i didnt even think about that. i have plenty of clearence on the tunnel but i might need to check my pinion angle. Im not getting any vibration but by rotating the pinion angle it would lower the rear shock mounting mount which would then extend the shock. Its not that i would pick up a huge amount though but i guess that is one thing i need to varify is the alignment specs.

dhutton
08-09-2016, 06:38 AM
You know i didnt even think about that. i have plenty of clearence on the tunnel but i might need to check my pinion angle. Im not getting any vibration but by rotating the pinion angle it would lower the rear shock mounting mount which would then extend the shock. Its not that i would pick up a huge amount though but i guess that is one thing i need to varify is the alignment specs.

Is your panhard bar level at that ride height?

icemanrd19
08-09-2016, 04:21 PM
no. i was looking at my buddies today.

Anyone know if there is a difference in length on the front coilovers vs the rears?

dhutton
08-09-2016, 04:31 PM
The greater the angle the more the rear end will move side to side when going over bumps. It should be level at ride height as far as I know.

Where is Ron Sutton? LOL...

Don

icemanrd19
08-09-2016, 04:43 PM
ill take some pic when its not 102 outside. That is if i can get under there lol

dhutton
08-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Check to see if the panhard bar is in the top mounting hole.

icemanrd19
08-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Check to see if the panhard bar is in the top mounting hole.

panhard bar is horizontal. I guess i just have the car that low lol .......

Im just looking for a shock that is about 1/2 to 1" shorter. Either way i guess ill just live with it and enjoy the car.

dhutton
08-10-2016, 05:03 AM
I think there is a very good chance you are going to damage those shocks with only a pinky of travel and driving around bouncing off the bumpstops.

Don

icemanrd19
08-10-2016, 09:17 AM
I think there is a very good chance you are going to damage those shocks with only a pinky of travel and driving around bouncing off the bumpstops.

Don

break it you upgrade it easier to convince the wife to buy new shocks that way

dhutton
08-10-2016, 09:25 AM
break it you upgrade it easier to convince the wife to buy new shocks that way
Pure genius.... Lol

icemanrd19
08-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Anyone have a pic of the coilover turn apart? Do the ends come off? If so why not just replace the end with a shorter end or take the end off and thread the shaft another 1/2" to lower the upper mount point on the shock?

icemanrd19
09-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Well after looking at some other quadralinks today i noticed the perfect ride height on a 69 camaro the distance on the coilover from eyelid to eyelid was about 13.5" to 13.75". My eyelid to eyelid was 12 3/4. DSE uses a JRI coilover with 4.75 stroke, 11.25 compressed and 16" extended, 5/8 wide by 1/2" mono ball coilover.

So I Need a shock with 10" compressed and 15" extended . That would pick up the 1" that I'm looking for in the coilover.

Look like ride tech might have what i need Coilover Shock - 4.1" Stroke - HQ Series
Part #: 24149901 Bearing Mount (Compressed 10.13" - Extended 14.23")
http://www.ridetech.com/store/coilover-shock-4.1-stroke-single-adjustable.html

icemanrd19
09-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Spoke to JRI today. They apparently have another eye lid that is shorter. That alone would make a world of difference for me. Will update when they get back to me.