PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet truck arms on Ford F100

Frank ZX
08-01-2016, 05:53 AM
I've been reading about rear suspension for months and found little information on the subject.
I have a 68 F100, Crown Vic front end, big block and top loader. I also have race car truck arms mocked up on the rear. I know it's a big secret of details of this suspension set up for ovious reasons. I'm not competitive or a threat to anyone team. Im simply building a pick up truck to blast around and I want good handling.
Boxing the chassis in to stiffen the frame up.
I know the arms somewhat twist in the arc but setting up at ride heigth, do I want a load on the arms or at rest?
What heigth do I need the front truck arm at?
How far apart is mounting space front and rear?
Please help as much as possible.129915

RobNoLimit
08-01-2016, 06:33 AM
your arms are looking pretty straight front/back. The wider apart the rear of the arms are, the better (triangle) then narrow mounting in the front. As for pivot hieght, I would start at the same height as the axle centerline, so appx 13" off the ground. The problem with these style arms on the typical OE frame is that the arm will pass under the frame rail at some point, usually just where you may want to put a spring or shock, and that limits mounting room. Also, on low trucks, the arm may hit the OE rail as the suspension compresses, so fabricating a raised rail may be in order.

chevymike
08-01-2016, 09:48 AM
This should give you a better idea of the angle you are looking for. They way you have them is more like a 3 link.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Frank ZX
08-01-2016, 11:13 PM
your arms are looking pretty straight front/back. The wider apart the rear of the arms are, the better (triangle) then narrow mounting in the front. As for pivot hieght, I would start at the same height as the axle centerline, so appx 13" off the ground. The problem with these style arms on the typical OE frame is that the arm will pass under the frame rail at some point, usually just where you may want to put a spring or shock, and that limits mounting room. Also, on low trucks, the arm may hit the OE rail as the suspension compresses, so fabricating a raised rail may be in order.
Thanks! That's the kinda information I was looking for. Got to put a oil pump in my son's TDI tomorrow and then I'll get back on the chassis. I wasn't sure how far apart the arms should be because the axle mounts were twisted on the rear axle. I assume that just how it is.