PDA

View Full Version : UMI vs ridetech

wyattroa
07-29-2016, 08:27 PM
I am going to be getting a suspension for my 66 chevelle. I have always had my eyes on the ridetech coilover system with ridetech sway bars. I also just looked at the UMI stage 4.

For those that have worked with both, do you feel the ridetech equipment is worth $1,000 more? I know in the big picture, $1,000 isnt a big deal, but I really am going to have to stick to a budget. I feel I am 95% want coilovers. Opinions are always great, if you dont have an opinion, it was still nice of you to drop by this thread!

Robert

blazer1970
07-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Robert,

I cant give you any feedback on the UMI stuff but I have all Ridetech suspension on my 68 Firebird, nice quality stuff.

wyattroa
07-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the response blazer. Since before I got my car I have had my eyes on the ridetech system. Just now that I actually have the car the reality of a budget really kicks in. I am going to have to by parts a few at a time as I am not a rich man. The way I was looking at it is the UMI suspension was about a grand less and that grand could go towards getting an LS engine from the junk yard.

Rod
07-30-2016, 05:37 PM
you cant go wrong with either system, both are are American built with Pennsylvania steel, Ridetech made in Indiana and UMI made in Pennsylvania, both have proven there systems on cars they race, I know this doesn't help your choice, I use both myself

wyattroa
07-30-2016, 06:31 PM
One big difference I notice with the ridetech kit is the spindle. I know the AFX spindle is a great item to purchase, but why does ridetechs kit require it where most kits do not.

chuckd71
07-31-2016, 05:34 AM
I already had the AFX spindle before I bought ridetech stuff so wasn't aware it was required, but do other kits use the stock spindle? Isn't the spindle/ steering arm one of the negatives about the car from the factory? Not sure I'd want to reuse it or mess with a CPP-style knockoff china spindle.
Nothing says you have to buy a kit at all though, you can just pick up the UMI parts you want next time they have a sale then grab the Ridetech coil overs (or Viking or whatever) from MCB. Or do the front now and rear later, watch the classifieds for deals, etc etc.

Rod
07-31-2016, 09:24 AM
One big difference I notice with the ridetech kit is the spindle. I know the AFX spindle is a great item to purchase, but why does ridetechs kit require it where most kits do not.

I no longer work for ridetech but the spindle is used in the kits because the suspension is designed to have the full amount of travel that the car had stock or close to original and the spindle gives the 2 inch drop and is taller to correct the camber curve that is deficient in the factory spindle

analyte
07-31-2016, 02:45 PM
I just got finished with my Ridetech upgrades; single c/o in the rear and triple c/o in front with their spindle and lower arms.

Ridetech has been great help with what to pick out, custom valving, springs swaps to get the right height/performance, and tech support all the way through to dial it in. I also have to say the Ridetech instructions are top notch as well.

You won't go wrong with either, but I wanted to get away from springs and liked the Ridetech Coilover options over the Viking setup from UMI.

Kerry

Jk918
07-31-2016, 02:50 PM
What are your plans for the car?

wyattroa
07-31-2016, 03:55 PM
plans are going to be a cruiser and track days.. I know they both don't go hand in hand, but I want something that will go around a turn without thinking I am tipping the ship over..lol

wyattroa
07-31-2016, 04:17 PM
I no longer work for ridetech but the spindle is used in the kits because the suspension is designed to have the full amount of travel that the car had stock or close to original and the spindle gives the 2 inch drop and is taller to correct the camber curve that is deficient in the factory spindle

So is it not wise to use the ride tech coilovers with different a-arms and spindle? Would they not work properly?

analyte
07-31-2016, 08:54 PM
So is it not wise to use the ride tech coilovers with different a-arms and spindle? Would they not work properly?

The Ridetech spindle, and likely others, will allow you to use a longer shock with more travel. I upgraded to the Ridetech spindles for for this reason.

Where the stock spindle would have used a 3.6 stroke with an 8in spring I'm now able to use a 4.1 stroke with a 10in spring. It's all about what you want to do with the car.

UMI Tech
08-01-2016, 05:05 AM
I am going to be getting a suspension for my 66 chevelle. I have always had my eyes on the ridetech coilover system with ridetech sway bars. I also just looked at the UMI stage 4.

For those that have worked with both, do you feel the ridetech equipment is worth $1,000 more? I know in the big picture, $1,000 isnt a big deal, but I really am going to have to stick to a budget. I feel I am 95% want coilovers. Opinions are always great, if you dont have an opinion, it was still nice of you to drop by this thread!

Robert

Hey Robert.

Thanks for including UMI in your list of potentials.

Our Stage 4 does indeed tune up the front geometry enough for cruising and the occasional track day. We're pretty flexible with kit stuff and can mix and match to make your car work for you.

We are currently testing various spindles and geometries on our '72 LeMans and steadily improving its performance each track session.

Keep in mind that any of our kits, including Stage 2, will totally transform your car. It's a much larger step going from stock to UMI than it is going through each Stage.

Let us know if you have any questions.

ramey

chevymike
08-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Been very happy with the UMI upper and lower front A arms and 1" lowering springs. Will be adding their Pro-Touring rear arms and a sway bar kit. I combined them with Bilstein shocks I had just installed before buying the UMI parts and the ride is great for cruising yet works great on the twisty road/on ramp circles. Can't wait to complete the rear.

bret
08-02-2016, 11:14 AM

They would work just fine...BUT, you may need a different length coilover if you are using a different spindle/control arm package. We know exactly what shock to use in our complete suspension package, but no way to validate every possible combination of other parts. A little measuring would resolve that problem. Keep in mind that in addition to dropping the car, our spindle offers some significant geometry improvements because of the 1.75" taller balljoint height.

For a cruiser/ part time autocross type vehicle, you might consider the StreetGRip package. The ride quality is stunning, and it has proven to be a capable track suspension as well. The downside is that you will have no ride height adjustability, and no selection of spring rates for track tuning. The StreetGRip system includes a taller upper balljoint that offers a nice improvement in camber gain, but not quite as good as the taller spindle in the coilover packages. Its really a matter of budget and what level of performance you are looking for. http://www.ridetech.com/store/1964-1967-gm-a-body-streetgrip-system.html