PDA

View Full Version : Any one use the MAD enterpirses kit?

Rileys68Camaro
09-17-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm looking at the new system kit, and was wondering if anyone has used it.

Is it overkill with all the relays? I'm looking to put the battery in the trunk, but probably keep the solenoid in the engine bay. I like the idea of brighter lights and whatnot.

I've got a Painless Wiring 18 circuit kit that I'm using in my 68 Camaro.

Thanks.

rockdogz
09-17-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm in the same situation - '68, rear battery, painless harness. I went ahead and ordered the MAD kit but won't be installing for a few weeks. Got all the parts, everything seems like very good quality and he throws in lots of instructions and tips (not that you would need them, but I sure do). If you have any questions about what's included, let me know otherwise I will report back after I install.

JamesD
09-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I got their relay kit and alternator wiring harness it was very nice, the customer assistance is wonderfull, he even threw in some wires and and uninsulated crimp connector for free for me to practice on. The complete system looks really nice, i have sort of a modified version of it. i have a big gauge wire running form the alternator out put to one of their insulating terminal blocks, i then ran a wire from that to the horn relay. I run all my electrical devices from the terminal block, I did the CS130 alternator conversion, with that i get 14.7 volt to all my electrcial components.

Rileys68Camaro
09-18-2004, 08:39 AM
thanks!

rockdogz, I need all the info and tips I can get :). I'm not really sure about the horn relay and terminal block. Does it include the terminal block or horn relay? I have no original electrical parts for the car other than the turn signal connector.

I was looking to run the battery cables inside with a bulkhead connector as has been written up on the forum.

I'm hands on type, I don't visualize very well.

Q ship
09-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Just to bring it up, heres the link. (http://www.madelectrical.com/) Mark Hamilton is the guy that runs it, one of the nicest and most helpful guys I've ever dealt with. Kind of a limited product line but it all works well-I like that he takes the KISS approach to auto electrics. He's always been willing to take the time to discuss projects with me. :icon996:

Rileys68Camaro
09-20-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm thinking also to ground the motor to the subframe and the body, the body to subframe. Anyplace else, and what would be good to use?

68LSS1
09-21-2004, 06:31 AM
I'm thinking also to ground the motor to the subframe and the body, the body to subframe. Anyplace else, and what would be good to use?

I like the braided ground straps made by Taylor (the ignition wire people). I don't have any pictures of one but anybody that carries their products should be able to get them.

yody
09-21-2004, 05:28 PM
whats the difference between braided ground straps and cable?

68LSS1
09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
whats the difference between braided ground straps and cable?

Nothing. they are just pretty--they matched the braided battery cables (also from Taylor) that I had. The braided ground straps flex real easy is about the only benefit I can think of. I routinely change the cable type at work quite a bit (on aircraft) but the braided seem to hold up better. Yes I know, not apples to apples but did I mention they look pretty?

Zee
09-27-2004, 05:02 PM
I adopted my version of the MAD set up and now have 14 volts everywhere, all the time even with my SI alt. I have an 8 ga wire off of the output term of the alt to the Ford starter solenoid. Then another 8 ga wire from the solenoid to one of MAD's terminal blocks mounted on the core support. Then 10ga wires for each fan relay and high/low beam relay. Flat out works.

Sue
01-19-2005, 12:54 AM
i was very impressed with both Mark and his stuff. great quality

Rileys68Camaro
01-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I bought the kit, but sadly I haven't installed it yet.

Very nice looking stuff!

Nutsy
01-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Can someone please enlighten me on what MAD stuff is? Is it a replacement wiring harness?

69HuggrrrPT
01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Lots of good info here
http://www.madelectrical.com/index.shtml

Dean

jwardjr
02-23-2005, 06:03 PM
I used MAD or Marks entire wiring kits. Twin relays, power points ect. I pulled the fire wall terminal block out and started from scratch. 14.5v through out the car! It is great and what a Guy He will spend hours on the phone walking you through step by step. He uses very high end products and fusable links thoughout for added protection. Nice to have bright lights at idle...

Rileys68Camaro
02-23-2005, 07:10 PM
jwardjr,
Do you use the supplied 8ga battery cables? well, assuming you use the trunk mount battery kit...

Which part are you talking about the firewall terminal block? Where the engine and main harness connect?

jwardjr
02-24-2005, 05:11 AM
jwardjr,
Do you use the supplied 8ga battery cables? well, assuming you use the trunk mount battery kit...

Which part are you talking about the firewall terminal block? Where the engine and main harness connect?

Answer to first question. I don't have a trunk mounted battery but, I did have mark make custom battery terminal wires also I added the starter relay system. I have a '69 Camaro

Yes, the one that is for the main wiring harness coming out of the firewall. I changed my ignition to an HEI so, I bought that kit from him as well. On a GM car the wire that goes to the coil is a fiberglass encased wire it is a resistor wire! so your not getting full power to the ignition that is a must change wire. If you elect to purchase a kit from Him I would recommend getting a few more Packard connectors than needed and extra shrink tubing.

Thanks