PDA

View Full Version : quicksteer box centerlink clearance

groho
07-12-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm wondering if I'm getting my shorts in a bind over nothing, or if this is a real problem that can effect steering symmetry. I installed an ABS quicksteer PS box (3 turns lock-to-lock) in my 66 mustang coupe some time back, and built a custom eng cross member similar to the boss 302 bracing. I'm in the process of going through and checking bolts, nuts getting ready for her shake down test when I noticed my center link is 1/4"-3/8" forward on the drivers side, causing a clearance issue between the center link tie rod b/j and the cross member. Pic'd is an example of what I'm seeing. What it appears is my pitman arm is aprox 1/4"-3/8" too long CtoC. I intend to autocross and track this car every opportunity I can. My biggest concern is the steering geometry and symmetry, in a left and right turn. If I need to I'll find a pitman arm or have one made, but this could be as simple as replacing the zerk fitting with a plug so I don't snap it off and be done with it. With everything centered, pointing forward, the tie rods are equal, toe is good, steering box is at center, the driver side center link ball joint is forward, and is fairly obvious when looking at the tie rods to center link. I'm I worried bout nothing? The current pitman arm is 5-1/4" CtoC with I believe is a 1/2" drop. What I think I need is a 5" CtoC pitman arm but don't want to deal with the details unless I know its a problem and necessary.

(this is not my stang, just a pic I mocked up off the web)

groho
07-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Figured the problem out, it's the steering box, measured the original box and the sector shaft is centered between the lower mounting bolts, the ABS box was welded to the mount almost an inch forward. Guess my only option is contacting ABS. This bites, hope its just the wrong box and an easy replacement.

groho
07-18-2016, 07:52 AM
I can see you folks are really interested here, so let me share more information. Contacted ABS and Pedro was super, very cooperative and understanding. We compared notes and boxes, and it appears these boxes are built by design with the sector shaft forward. Over the weekend I measured the OE box, re-measured both boxes, and then measured again, and found the ABS sector shaft is 7/16" forward of the OE box. I completely understand this would be a moot point to a stock set up, with stock suspension on a street car. But I intend to autocross and track this car, and the last thing I want is to be chasing a problem I can't fix, ex. why do I have a push turning right, but not left?? There's only two fixes for this, a shorter pitman arm or relocate the idler arm. I elected to go with the idler arm since it was the cheapest option (my better half says I'm so tight I squeak when I walk) . Here's my fix, it really wasn't that difficult, just very time consuming. I modified an idler arm shaft using a second idler arm base, welded the two, hammered the heck out of it to test my welds, and then built a frontal plate using .120 plate as a precaution. Sorry to bore everyone, just wanted to point out a unique setup design with a particular product, and how to possibly fix it.