PDA

View Full Version : Ihi Turbo Info

TUBED
10-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Is anyone familiar with IHI turbos from the mid 80's, I have a guy that claims to have a setup for sale from the mid 80's that made 65-70 LBS of boost on a BBC just under 500 cubes with IHI turbo's making right at 2000 HP.

I've yet to see any pictures and was wondering about the boost and HP. claims. I'm not very knowledgeable about turbo setups so the numbers seem stretched for this time period and even now. Thanks for info. Gerald

ProStreet R/T
10-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Is anyone familiar with IHI turbos from the mid 80's, I have a guy that claims to have a setup for sale from the mid 80's that made 65-70 LBS of boost on a BBC just under 500 cubes with IHI turbo's making right at 2000 HP.

I've yet to see any pictures and was wondering about the boost and HP. claims. I'm not very knowledgeable about turbo setups so the numbers seem stretched for this time period and even now. Thanks for info. Gerald

70psi are diesel numbers, heck last I heard even the new promod turbo cars aren't making much over 40 so thats WAY out there. 2k hp from a BBC isn't that out of line depending on the setup but I tend to think he's blowin smoke up yer skirt.

Got pics of it?

www.ihi-turbo.com

from the looks of their compressor maps they don't have anything near the flow range for 2k hp unless he's running quads, lol.

TUBED
10-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Buzz,
Thanks for the reply I don't have any pictures, so the balls in his court. I'll see what he does and until then I'll study their website and ask some more questions.

Gerald

OHCbird
11-01-2005, 10:45 PM
To quote Stewie..... " Uhhh, Yeeeaahhhhhh............"

I'd like to know what heads he was using- no way 50-70psi. 2Khp can be done with less than half that on the right engine.

I'd say pass anyway- 80's setups were pretty much all learning curves for the aftermarket. Go with something that is a bit more recent & I'm sure you'll get more HP for less (as in boost, NOT $$$)