PDA

View Full Version : Ever think of a HUD for you PT car?

Stu Seitz
09-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone ever think of transplanting a heads up display from a vette into there PTer? I'm not shure if there installed in just z06 and not stock c5's; but I have seen some huds in other new gm cars. So avlabilty might be a problem but think it can be done and at an ok price. Granted it's most likley easier for guys with ls1's but you guys think it could be done?

68LSS1
09-15-2004, 11:39 PM
There was a company selling a kit a while back to do this. It wasn't as good as the Vette set ups as some people said they weren't bright enough in the sunlight. I thought I read that the Vette windshields had some sort of special coating on them to help this. Not sure. I believe they were selling the kits on LS1tech but it's been quite awhile ago.

Did a quick search and found the link (http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30098&highlight=heads+display). It's from LPE.

yody
09-15-2004, 11:54 PM
i thought of that awhile back but someone told me they ran off of the computer

derekf
09-16-2004, 04:11 AM
A while back (~10-15 years) I drove a car that had a HUD speedometer... I'm thinking it was a LeBaron? It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to do - it was just one of those bright blue LED displays and a square of reflective semi-transparent film (you could see where the film was) on the windshield.

The wiring/controller (I would think) wouldn't be too different from the electronics that drive the Dakota Digital gauges. Not that I know how they're built, but I'm pretty sure it could be done by someone with better electronics skills than I.

Pro-touring towncar
09-16-2004, 06:49 PM
I was thinking of doing it with a radio display. mounting it in the dash using a mirror to reverse the image then being able to veiw it on the windshield.

Tim

Zefhix
09-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I was thinking of doing it with a radio display. mounting it in the dash using a mirror to reverse the image then being able to veiw it on the windshield.

Tim

I wanted to place that single strip that reads everything from dakota digital and install in backwards inside the dash and the cut and opening with a mirror in it (for the display) with a button that allows you to tilt the mirror for adjustment. The HUD is a great idea, though. Very nice touch and I'm sure someone on the site HAS to be looking into using it.

blazer4corners
09-23-2004, 04:45 AM
look in your upper end pontiacs and such. i know the early to mid 90's grand prix's and bonnevilles had them