PDA

View Full Version : quick question??

SicMonte
10-16-2005, 10:25 AM
first an overview: My 350 (bored .060 over) recentlly blew the upper radiator hose off from the radiator side. I put it back on...filled back up the radiator and drove it home. The temp fluxuated from 180-230 the whole way home. I get home and the radiator was only 1/2 full...I fill it up...and I notice that there are 2 pin holes in the front of the radiator. Today I put in some stop leak...and let it run....and it blew 2 more holes in the radiator...some serious pressure. I have a griffin radiator (31x19), griffin radiator cap, edelbrock water pump, running some water wetter, and I have a correctlly mounted overflow can.

What could cause this?? I have heard this so far...
1) thermostat is stuck.....its a brand new one.
2) blown a head gasket....new motor as of last march...not driven alot
3) water pump impellor is bad....could be true...it is 4 years old.

what do you all think? I am getting some serious presure in this system.

protour_chevelle
10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Belt tensions correct? It doesn't get much to spin a belt when running hard. My buddy and I were in his 572 Chevelle doing end of summer burnouts LOL. He spun it too high and blew the water pump belt. We found out about it once rad cap kicked open and shot antifreeze everywhere.

-Matt

SicMonte
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
no...its is on tight. anyone out there got any suggestions??!!!!

porschev8
10-16-2005, 11:31 PM
What was the temperature gauge reading before the hose came off?

SicMonte
10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
i dunno...it just shot off and i think it was like 220.....not hot

ProStreet R/T
10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Thermostat stuck open?

At any rate it shouldn't be blowing holes in the radiator even at 230F, time for a new radiator and track down the real problem.

Doubt the "impeller" on the pump is bad, thats not usually the part that fails.

SicMonte
10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
im gonna try a new cap.....then do a pressure test...then start it up and see if i see white smoke...and if i do....time for some head gaskets!!