PDA

View Full Version : Self-leveling epoxy garage floor?

jjump59
10-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Aybody used this stuff? Found several companies that offer the product but no one that applies it. Have a slightly off floor and need to level the place so I can use the scales anywhere in the shop. thanks

Jim Nilsen
10-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Self leveling epoxy floors are very expensive and it really depends on what you plan on doing on the floor. Jackstands will have to have flat plates put on them you will need to put a sheet steel plate down when you use a floor jack. welding will spatter the surface and in some cases burn it and need repair.

There are also different brands that can help alleviate some of the problems above and they cost more. Actually all epoxy can be used to do this but some will do it easier.

We used epoxies where I used to work to seal up wood block floor to make it smooth so I have had a lot of experience with this. We actually found that for the money per square foot you can actually put down steel instead. 3/8 or 1/2 inch 4ft x 8,10,12 ft steel plates can be leveled and anchored down and will last indefinately if done right. You can use stud anchors and welding to do it or machine anchors and countersink screws to do it. If you use steel you will want to get Mechanically Relieved Steel MRS to do the job right. MRS steel is rolled between two giant rollers and smashed down making it a few thousands thinner and relieving the tension making it molecularly flat and it will stay that way. Hot rolled steel will have waves and warp on you if you weld on it ,cold rolled will also still have waves in it sometimes. MRS is only a few cents more per pound to have it done. If you can't find it let me know and I can tell you where to get it.

If the floor area is not too big I would go with the steel before the epoxy and if you need any pointers on how to put it all down just ask. I have done over several thousand square ft. of floor this way and it works. You can even make the floor even take a shock and last longer if you put epoxy under the steel that is an elastic mix. This adds a cushion under the steel making it absorb shocks to the surface plus it glues it down.

I know all of this because we had 3,000lb spools of wire that used to tear up the floor where I worked annually until I came up with the process I just described. It is tried and tested to work and the spools lasted longer too.

One more thing. Cutting out sections of the floor and putting cement pads that are level may be another option to think about ,or just chisel out the areas you want to do the weighing in and do those areas with the steel and epoxy method. You have to get a chisel bit for a Bosch 80# jack hammer that will take out the 1/2 in. required to sink it in the floor and use the epoxy or mortar to level it out but it can be done.

Good luck on your decision but at $10 or more psf I would go with the steel anyday of the week. Any other questions about the floor you don't understand just ask. i have tried it all at the expense of a major corporation.

Jim Nilsen

jjump59
10-13-2005, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the response, looks like the steel might be better. alot of welding etc. goes on around here! the cost is pretty well up there too!