PDA

View Full Version : Progress on my digital instrument cluster program

scott_fx
02-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

While waiting for the body shop I have been programming a digital instrument cluster. I though some of you may enjoy this so here is my current work in progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MdquCxScLY&list=UUAgnfyJ3gvAXdRwnw6rTv9g&feature=share

It'll have two analog gauges flanking the display, Tach and Speed. Also; not shown in the video, it will have a rear view camera that will show up in the middle of the screen when the car is put in reverse)

Motorcitydak
02-23-2014, 12:30 PM
That looks really cool. Is it something that you would offer to buy? I contacted autometer about their soon to be released digital LCD display gauges, was left reeling from sticker shock

scott_fx
02-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Thank you

I'll have to put it through the paces and do some road testing with it. I'd have to see how much all the components would be as well. But after I get all of that ironed out I probably could build some kits. The biggest expense could be the screen. I'm going to test a relatively inexpensive sunlight readable monitor which should be fine in a coupe. In a vert the screen may not be optimal, and it would double the cost of the screen.

The catch is obd-ii compliment engine right now. It cuts down on a lot of the programming components and soldering/time needed.

scott_fx
02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Here is the original concept. Still going to use the analog gauges flanking the screen but they'll have to be significantly smaller, and of course the screen has changed a lot as well

scott_fx
03-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Another small update as well as pt 2 of my project

Pretty much the same as last time but displayed on the transfelctive screen. pretty happy with how it looks in person but there is a bit of glare, i think it's from the touchscreen. I thought the touchscreen overlay was removable but it's bonded on there pretty well. I'm not concerned though, I'll just order a second display w/o the touchscreen and use this one for pt 2 of the project (see below)
http://youtu.be/77vv5QnnjBM

so since i'm going to add modern features to the car (power windows, cruise control, seat heaters.. etc). i didnt want to much up the interior too much with a bunch of switches. so I decided to make a "jarvis"-like command center. It'll have a knob sitting on top of the display and as i click through the menus it'll display different controls for the car. This will tie into my cluster to let me know which menus are being displayed. This will allow me to use some of the basic features w/o taking my eyes off the road (common issue with touch screens). This will be installed horizontally in the center console.

http://youtu.be/oJft_kXbIs8

here is a breakdown of functionality if anyone is interested:

Power locks (double tap on the knob will lock single tap unlock)

Power windows -- double tap will roll up all windows, single tap will lower all windows

Seat heater --no frills here. Just tap up or down to go through the different temp settings

Cruise control --double tap will disengage (as well as a tapping on the brakes), single tap will engage, press and hold will accelerate

Misc menu:
Fuel door release -- servo driven lic plate lowering
Intermittent wiper control -- master control is factory location for in/off. This just adjust intermittent wipers if desired
Rear view camera -- simply turns on the back up cam (when not automatically engage on reverse).

CapSS92
03-09-2014, 03:27 AM
Here's an interesting link to a new concept for touchscreen controls. I think the interface makes sense. Check it out...

http://www.wired.com/design/2014/02/watch-ingenious-touchscreen-ui-inside-every-car/

XTRMEASURES
03-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Love the design

scott_fx
03-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Here's an interesting link to a new concept for touchscreen controls. I think the interface makes sense. Check it out...

http://www.wired.com/design/2014/02/watch-ingenious-touchscreen-ui-inside-every-car/

That's a great idea. I already started sketching out a concept

CapSS92
03-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Cool looking forward to it.

Turbo67camaro
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
I love the design. A great mix of analog and digital feedback that doesn't waste space.

Only thing I'd change is using red instead of blue, as red has a smaller impact on the eyes night vision. If you end up selling it, you'd want to allow the user to choose from a set of basic colors to match their preference and interior.

The interface linked to by CapSS92 also looks interesting, although I think it is just a stepping stone on the path to voice controls. Voice controls have the best chance of keeping two hands on the steering wheel at all times and I'd be surprised if the technological building blocks to build quality, automotive voice control systems don't already exist.

scott_fx
03-15-2014, 04:16 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i may go with green too. it matches oem and it takes your eyes the least amount of effort to adjust to it.

as far as voice. it will have that as well, i already have the module but it'll make it's way to the system further down the line.

I have been working till midnight-1 am every night this week, i'm working today and tomorrow as well... i dont see this schedule easing up much until april. hopefully i'll have some time to work some more on the system. During my downtime i am working out the layout for the new command center. i think it'll be pretty intuitive while not ripping off that other project (completely)

I love the design. A great mix of analog and digital feedback that doesn't waste space.

Only thing I'd change is using red instead of blue, as red has a smaller impact on the eyes night vision. If you end up selling it, you'd want to allow the user to choose from a set of basic colors to match their preference and interior.

The interface linked to by CapSS92 also looks interesting, although I think it is just a stepping stone on the path to voice controls. Voice controls have the best chance of keeping two hands on the steering wheel at all times and I'd be surprised if the technological building blocks to build quality, automotive voice control systems don't already exist.

no go nova
03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I would be in for this if you could make one for a 66-67 Chevy II.

Nothingface5384
03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
I also liked the finger scanner start

scott_fx
03-16-2014, 09:47 AM
I would be in for this if you could make one for a 66-67 Chevy II.
let me get a solid build going and test it for a while in the car then i'll figure out cost of materials and let you know. I'd love to make some of these for fellow members, I just want to make sure it's stable.

I also liked the finger scanner start
thanks. still on the fence if i want to do that or not. I have some parts on order for active rfid (like in modern cars) where you only need to have the fob on you. The finger print would be nice but i have to figure out a way to get into the car w/o keys to make it really worth while.

scott_fx
03-19-2014, 09:54 AM
you got me thinking and that got me researching. I stumbled upon a voice recognition software that'll work with serial communication (easy to incorporate)
http://www.bitsophia.com/BitVoicer.aspx

i could use this to supplement the touch control.

also the ipad car ui that was linked above got me thinking about multi touch too. the screen i was planning on using was just a simple resistive touch screen (pressure sensitive and only one point source) I then found that Dell make a 7" windows 8 tablet for ~$250 with capacitive touch screen. It'll be more cost effective since it'll have the screen, the touchscreen overlay, and computer all in one.

scott_fx
03-28-2014, 02:07 PM
edit: made a lot of progress last night, will update soon

scott_fx
03-30-2014, 04:01 PM
ok, here is the latest wip if anyone is interested. added seat heater control, started music navigation and cleaned up some of the icons. it doesn't show well in the video but the background just dims when you touch it... it looks like it almost disappears in that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC2-ZxUgTLw

rossmacd
04-02-2014, 05:18 PM
This looks like everything I thought MiMod would be. Mine has just been sitting in a box for several years. Instead of touchscreen, have you thought about using something like the BMW iDrive? I'd love to have a setup like that.

This is definitely something I'd seriously consider if you made it into a product.

scott_fx
04-02-2014, 06:22 PM
This looks like everything I thought MiMod would be. Mine has just been sitting in a box for several years. Instead of touchscreen, have you thought about using something like the BMW iDrive? I'd love to have a setup like that.

This is definitely something I'd seriously consider if you made it into a product.

Well i'll keep this thread going with updates to see where it ends up.

The final setup will have a knob (the area that has the blueish 'glow' will be where the knob will mount) Also I'll be using a dell venue 8 pro which is a 7" capacitive touchscreen. The pro's of using that will be multi touch as well as being able to have trim pieces touching the screen. That means that you aren't limited to a big rectangular screen in your console. I plan on have a shaped cutout with rounded corners toward the top of the screen and then follow the radius of the knob. Think of a rectangle with a circle cut out toward the bottom.
kind of like this but larger opening for the screen:
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/13q4/551862/2014-dodge-durango-citadel-awd-shift-knob-photo-556974-s-1280x782.jpg

The knob will be infinitely spin-able and will also act as a push button (i think I'll have a double tap to lock/unlock the doors)

an idrive would type interface would be possible, i went against it because of the added cost. I'd have to use an 3dconnexion spacenav which would ad another ~$100 to the system (this was one that i installed in my corvette: http://i.onfinite.com/mfC3hZNqd.jpg)

or i'd be stuck with something that would be like a joystick but couldn't spin.

scott_fx
04-26-2014, 06:46 PM
had a slight change of heart and reeled in my expectations a bit. After having a difficult time to cost effectively make the analog gauges to a level i'd be happy with (oem looking) I decided that i will not be going withthe analog gauges at this time.

here is the new layout. i actually love it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyP22Sg0_Tg&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

rossmacd
04-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Looks great!

scott_fx
05-01-2014, 08:03 AM
another update if anyone is following this :)

I redesigned the lcd instrument panel then refined it yet again. I am a stickler for having things look professional and clean. I think the redesigns, though time consuming and pushing back my project timeline, are well worth it. I will be refining this as i go along but i think i'm getting closer to something i'm happy with. Also, i listened to your suggestions and now the color of the gradient is fully user definable. I'll be able to select any color i want through a menu option. Also, The background will be user definable too. future plans will be to auto switch between daytime and night time modes. also past that i want to have another menu option to switch between pro-touring and grand-touring modes. grand touring will be largely like it is now, but grand touring would center the tach and make it bigger, remove the speedometer gauge (just a digital readout) and that'll add more real estate for more important readouts

here is a video of how the guages will work v02 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyP22Sg0_Tg&feature=youtu.be) and then i further refined it to look like this:

and then the new v03 design (still coding it, i'll try to get a video uploaded this weekend of it in action)

hue shift

CapSS92
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Very nice!

hessdawg
05-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I really like it

CapSS92
05-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Just a suggestion for the circle around the gauge. I saw this on a Dodge Charger and I can't remember where I found the second pic but it makes the numbers stand out. I'll attach 'em.

HurstOlds
05-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Hey Scott,

Thanks for sharing your project! I love this type of stuff. What sort of issues were you running into when trying to keep it retro? You mentioned that you had to abandon that idea, and go all digital.

Have you tried playing around with MCR MR1107 stepper motors? I built a crude speedometer using an Arduino, GPS receiver, and MR1107's. I never got past the rough prototype stage.

scott_fx
05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Just a suggestion for the circle around the gauge. I saw this on a Dodge Charger and I can't remember where I found the second pic but it makes the numbers stand out. I'll attach 'em.

thanks for the suggestion. i messed around with using that look but wasn't sold on it in the context i'm using it in though. that look is cool though

Hey Scott,

Thanks for sharing your project! I love this type of stuff. What sort of issues were you running into when trying to keep it retro? You mentioned that you had to abandon that idea, and go all digital.

Have you tried playing around with MCR MR1107 stepper motors? I built a crude speedometer using an Arduino, GPS receiver, and MR1107's. I never got past the rough prototype stage.

Thank you, glad you dig it.
Issues i was having were mainly cost. I think i could do it relatively cost...efficient, but I'm not sure about the quality of the end product. I was talking to a vendor about getting some of the gauge face cut and the needles backlit friendly; in hopes of getting a true oem feel, but it was looking to creep up into the $400 range when all said and done. The steppers i was using were a variant of the mr1107 if not that one specifically. it worked great... i haven't ruled it out completely yet but for the sake of getting v01 into the car in time, i think i'll skip that for now.

Issue i'm having now is trying to speed up reading the obd port. was giong to try to post a video of the program working in the car but the updates were too slow. I believe my script was poling all of the data from the obd port then parsing just the information i wanted. I asked around and found out a way to just request and return specific data. going to see if that will speed it up to a usable state. if that doesn't i may have to pull tach and speed from outher sources (hall sensor on a spark plug and gps) but i'm trying to avoid that to make this cost effective in case others want to do the same thing

scott_fx
05-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Well with our first born on the way, my free time has been eaten up. I did get a chance to get into the car today (my suv not the chevelle) and do some obd-ii reading test. here is a demo of the gauges:
http://youtu.be/GrkIU5mSe-4

still need to tweak the code but i think i got a 300% increase on data poling so the needle responds a lot better. I think i can massage the motion a bit with some interpolation.

scott_fx
05-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Needed to step back from the gauges for a bit while I wrestled with some horrible customer service. So I took your suggestion as a challenge.
http://youtu.be/LOIHNiOHmNQ

Notice how the syntax of the commands change and it still knows what I mean.

RLHearn_Design
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Scott what programs are you using for your graphic's and what are you programing your gauges in (code)?

I like you design's and ideas.

scott_fx
07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Scott what programs are you using for your graphic's and what are you programing your gauges in (code)?

I like you design's and ideas.

Thank you for the compliment. sorry for the late reply... i actually never got a reply notification email. :\

for graphics i'm using photoshop and a program called processing2.js. its a visual language based off of java.

unfortunately the project has been shelved for now. My wife is pregnant (due next monthy) and my day job hasn't shown any signs of easing up till after my son is born.. i just don't have the time to devote to this project. :/

here was my last iteration of the cluster for what it's worth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caR26RecI4E

WallaceMFG
07-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Looks good! If i didn't hate writing code so much I might try to do something like this as well. I look forward to seeing it in a working car!