PDA

View Full Version : OUSCI for members of USCA only or can others qualify???

PT Sportwagon
01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
With the inception of the Ultimate Street Car Association being said that competitors in this series. Can qualify for the OUCSI? But can people who are 700+ miles from the closest event, most over 1000+ miles. Being without the disposable income some competitors have. Can a regular person who attends an event, not in the USCA, Qualify for the OUSCI. Like SORC, or power tour, or???

Tim

Jim Nilsen
02-04-2014, 06:17 AM
I just want to say that anyone who can qualify is no regular person in physical,mental,financial, or spiritual dynamics.

That being said, yes you could qualify but you need to have a lot of free time and deeper pockets to make sure you can attend the finals.
What's the point of qualifying for something you can't finish? You will find after a few events where you stand and what you really want to pursue. If you worked endlessly and with great results you just might get there with a lot less , but it will be your whole life, all be it a rather fun one.

PT Sportwagon
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
So while not answering the question. You are saying that without deeper pockets than the normal person has you cannot compete? Just great news for those of us who are not financially well off than others. It is nice that people have the money to take illegally modified cars and compete in OUSCI.

GrabberGT
02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
It was mentioned in the Pro-Touring podcast interview with Jimi Day that there may be other events one could qualify from. No specific events mentioned but he said the event would have to meet guidelines set by the USCA sanctioning body to be a qualifier.

Project92rs
02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
So while not answering the question. You are saying that without deeper pockets than the normal person has you cannot compete? Just great news for those of us who are not financially well off than others. It is nice that people have the money to take illegally modified cars and compete in OUSCI.

There is a certain amount of "deep pockets" required to attend OUSCI. You have to be able to take off for the entire week of SEMA and have the car at the show. That portion alone represents what a lot of people would consider a significant investment in terms of hotels, meals, and travel just to be in Vegas for the week.

Building the car, driving the car, attending the events, etc to get a shot at being in the event is another expense. Can you get in from attending a single event? Yes. Is it likely that it will happen at the first event you go to? Not really but it is possible.

But don't let this discourage you from trying. If your only goal for the car is to get into OUSCI, then be prepared to campaign it with the associated expenses of traveling the country to participate in events. If your goal is to have as much fun with the car as possible and maybe go to OUSCI, then have as much fun as you can at the events you can make it to and worry about how to cover being in the show when it happens. Some of the spots are awarded for embodying the spirit of the event and not for being the fastest or the prettiest.

And, as far as the illegally modified statement goes, illegal is a matter of state law for a lot of the cars. What is illegal in one state is perfectly fine others and some drivers have chosen what to drive and where to live to make the most of those laws.

howehot
02-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I can assure you that if I can get invited, OUSCI 2012, anybody can. My pockets aren't deep. My son and I built the best car we could, out of the blue got invited to the Sandhills open road challenge, had an absolute ball at the event, placed 7 out of 11 cars, and received the Spirit of the Event Award. Oh, and we didn't even know the event was a quailifying event until we got there.

The week in Vegas did cost a small fortune, most expensive trip we ever took, but man what a week.

So my suggestion is attend an event and don't worry about not being the fastest, but have fun which you will, make friends everyone is friendly, and see what happens.

James OLC
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM

Ok... I will bite... What is an "illegally modified car"?

And Tom is spot on

mpozzi
02-05-2014, 06:59 PM
And to dovetail onto James thoughts ... that last letter of OUSCI is "Invitational." The event organizers can invite any vehicle they wish and while the USCA events are "qualifiers," you have a much better chance of getting your car picked for Spirit of the Event if it (and YOU) meet criteria that warrants such recognition.

Posting your thoughts such as the above won't help with brownie points, though ...

As for USCA events, they're more than "just another track day, autocross, cruise ... whatever." Your entry fee will be just the start of a three-day automotive fun fest with a bit of competition thrown in for good measure. It will be as safe as we can possibly make it and you'll get the opportunity to drive on storied race tracks where legends have gone before. And, if you're charismatic, can drive somewhat well, have a car that won't put a hurt on the camera lenses, you'll probably get some television time.

Being that USCA is a five-year proposition, there's a good chance they'll select a racetrack closer to Wyoming in upcoming years. You never know.

Mary P.

rustomatic
02-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Dang it--according to Mary, I've been disqualified prematurely: "have a car that won't put a hurt on the camera lenses." One day, I'll address the surface...

PT Sportwagon
02-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Well with my illegal statement. I was meaning federally illegal by DOT regulations. I do know that state laws very and enjoy that fact as if and when I ever take my wagon or any of my vehicles to CA. I don't have to worry about all the fascist laws CA has. LOL. But what I am talking about is a competitor removing the airbag steering wheel and replacing it with aftermarket on a 5th gen camaro, which is federally illegal.
I am not being an a$$ I was just trying to clarify how one gets an invite to OUSCI. While my wagon is far from being ready for anything but a good-guys autocross,( it is a wallowing clumsy oaf, but I had fun) My Focus is capable. If and when I happen to ever get an invite, I will come up with the $$$ to attend. scrapping my pennies together. I guess that when an organization says, " its schedule hits tracks all over the country" to me that means closer than 700 miles. Here's hopping they hit Miller Motorsports park some year.

Tim

Project92rs
02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
I guess that when an organization says, " its schedule hits tracks all over the country" to me that means closer than 700 miles. Here's hopping they hit Miller Motorsports park some year.

Tim

I feel your pain on this one. Closest they get to Phoenix is LA in June. But we've driven our car as far as the Atlantic coast and back to attend an event as part of last year's epic roadtrip so don't let distance be the factor stopping you from going. There is always a way if you really want to do it. Some year we'll plan it far enough in advance to long haul Power Tour....

mpozzi
02-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Dang it--according to Mary, I've been disqualified prematurely: "have a car that won't put a hurt on the camera lenses." One day, I'll address the surface...

You crack me up and isn't "rust" a color ...

We've got this old rusty, primered in spots, bondo in more spots '68 Camaro RS/SS sitting around (and getting rustier by the minute...). I'm sooooo tempted to leave the outside as-is, clean the windshield just enough to be able to see but keep the mossy green/brown growth that holds the glass in place, a seat or two (and the passenger gets to sit on springs and holey Naugahyde. Factor in an LS7, some über sticky tires on big, wide Forgelines, best suspension and steering, and it's off to OUSCI for me.

THIS will definitely break any camera lens ...
Mary

Damn True
02-06-2014, 10:58 AM

We've got this old rusty, primered in spots, bondo in more spots '68 Camaro RS/SS sitting around (and getting rustier by the minute...). I'm sooooo tempted to leave the outside as-is, clean the windshield just enough to be able to see but keep the mossy green/brown growth that holds the glass in place, a seat or two (and the passenger gets to sit on springs and holey Naugahyde. Factor in an LS7, some über sticky tires on big, wide Forgelines, best suspension and steering, and it's off to OUSCI for me.

Mary

OUSCI "Lemons" class?

Then we'll need a class for one-legged eskimo's with G-bodies, and another for left-handed native American Jewish female's with fox bodies. Oh, and orange slices and everybody gets a trophy.

mpozzi
02-06-2014, 11:09 AM
OUSCI "Lemons" class?

Then we'll need a class for one-legged eskimo's with G-bodies, and another for left-handed native American Jewish female's with fox bodies. Oh, and orange slices and everybody gets a trophy.

Nope ... I'm winning all three timed events, completing the cruise, and happily bragging to all that I got zero, zilch, and nada in Style and Design. Jimi and Cam will be apoplectic but gracious awarding me all that winners loot and readers of print magazines will see the smallest possible photo of the winning car.

HA,
Mary

Damn True
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
lol

Project92rs
02-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Mary

If you want to adopt out that poor neglected 68, I can probably find room in the stable for it. But I'm a poor broke 3rd Gen Camaro owner so you might have to deliver it and abandon it on the spare set of cinder blocks in the yard. I promise to treat it the same way you were planning on though... rough body with lots of go fast toys.

howehot
02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
OUSCI "Lemons" class?

Do you know my cousin and his wife?

Damn True
02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Niptuk & She who cures brisket?

Lovely couple.

PT Sportwagon
02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Nope ... I'm winning all three timed events, completing the cruise, and happily bragging to all that I got zero, zilch, and nada in Style and Design. Jimi and Cam will be apoplectic but gracious awarding me all that winners loot and readers of print magazines will see the smallest possible photo of the winning car.

HA,
Mary
Naw, they will use a telephoto lens with the sun shining off the non dirty part of the windshield. only showing a large glare. caption, " Mary's winning camaro, this is the best shot we got of it, all the others where blurry, it was just to fast" LOL

Mary

Hence the telephoto lens lessens the impact on the camera.
Now you tell me rust is a color, I just got done removing it. Your camaro sounds like my 2nd car. It isn't from Michigan is it?????

mpozzi
02-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Naw, they will use a telephoto lens with the sun shining off the non dirty part of the windshield. only showing a large glare. caption, " Mary's winning camaro, this is the best shot we got of it, all the others where blurry, it was just to fast" LOL

Hence the telephoto lens lessens the impact on the camera.
Now you tell me rust is a color, I just got done removing it. Your camaro sounds like my 2nd car. It isn't from Michigan is it?????

Actually, this one was in the Salinas River ... but maybe that was the other 1st gen. I call them both "golf cars" cause every panel has at least 18 holes in them.

Get that pile of yours done and come have fun with us when the events are closer. If all goes as planned, I'll schlep my pile out to GoodGuys in Loveland ...

Mary

rustomatic
02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Let it be said that entertaining is usually more fun than exclusive. Nevertheless, I'll spend a weekend at the in-laws' house in Salinas to get a look at all the Camaros that cost as much as my house (I did buy at a good time)...

OUSCI "Lemons" class?

Damn True
02-07-2014, 04:11 PM
IIRC there's no reason you cant enter the event at Laguna and have a hell of a great time.

PT Sportwagon
02-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Actually, this one was in the Salinas River ... but maybe that was the other 1st gen. I call them both "golf cars" cause every panel has at least 18 holes in them.

Get that pile of yours done and come have fun with us when the events are closer. If all goes as planned, I'll schlep my pile out to GoodGuys in Loveland ...

Mary

That would be great if you can make the Colorado Nationals. Finally getting to meet the myth and legend Mary Pozzi.

One thing I have never seen a rule about a vehicle having to look good to perform and handle.

Tim