PDA

View Full Version : Subframe Weight

O.N.
01-15-2014, 09:44 PM
With so many different brands available I would like to know what the weight of each brand is, to better help in choosing.

The car for the application is the 1969 Camaro.

The subframes are:
DSE - 490lbs
SpeedTech
Art Morrison
JRS - 265 lbs complete minus brakes
Chris Alston Chassisworks
TCI Engineering - 280lbs shipped weight inc transmission cross member

If i have missed any please advise, if you know the weights please post in the thread.

Sales-TCI-Eng
01-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Here is our shipping weight of a complete front end, actual weight will be slightly less without packing material. This also includes the transmission crossmember.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/01/Camaroclipweight_zps3cd47264-1.jpg (http://s981.photobucket.com/user/TotalCostInvolved/media/tech/Camaroclipweight_zps3cd47264.jpg.html)

-Jason

redbull396
01-17-2014, 12:42 PM
What's the stock sub frame weigh?

David Pozzi
01-17-2014, 05:32 PM
You need to compare fully assembled subs with brakes, A arms, steering rack. shocks and springs, Sway bar.
A stock Camaro sub bare is 110 lbs. I'll dig up the complete weight & post it.

O.N.
01-18-2014, 12:44 AM
You need to compare fully assembled subs with brakes, A arms, & steering.
A stock Camaro sub bare is 110 lbs. I'll dig up the complete weight & post it.

Yeah thanks that will give a better understanding.

bb557camaro
04-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi, I too have a strong interest in the weight of each of these suspensions. I'm ready to buy now but having a hard time which direction to go. I'm leaning towards the TCI because I'm running a Dart BBC in my 68 and would love to take advantage of the weight reduction. I also like the Speedtech. DSE and AME are just way too high to justify the cost for me. I want to do an autocross or two, looks fun, but primarily a street car that I love to take to the drags too.

Is That weight for the TCI including brakes, rotors and hubs too and if so, what size brakes? Not sure what the weight difference would be between an 11" and a 13" rotor for example?

killer69
04-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Hi, I too have a strong interest in the weight of each of these suspensions. I'm ready to buy now but having a hard time which direction to go. I'm leaning towards the TCI because I'm running a Dart BBC in my 68 and would love to take advantage of the weight reduction. I also like the Speedtech. DSE and AME are just way too high to justify the cost for me. I want to do an autocross or two, looks fun, but primarily a street car that I love to take to the drags too.

Is That weight for the TCI including brakes, rotors and hubs too and if so, what size brakes? Not sure what the weight difference would be between an 11" and a 13" rotor for example?

Have you seen the new lower price on the Speedtech sub? 4599.00
I will have to figure the weight out again but going off the shipping weight inc subframe, uppers, lowers, shocks, springs, sway bar, power rack, engine stands and trans X member, hardware
240 lb with out spindles and brakes.
the AFX spindles are 27 lb
brakes can vary of course the Bare Proplus 14" are about 75 lb for a full kit (shipping weight)

bb557camaro
04-08-2016, 07:57 AM
I have and have been in contact with Roger and Jay but they could not give me an actual weight. If I go with speed tech, I would be purchasing the AFX spindles and 13" wildwood brake kit. DO you still sell the down bars too? Is that weight for the spindles 27 lbs each or for the set? Thanks for the other numbers.

Carl @ Chassisworks
04-08-2016, 09:52 AM
While there are several front clips for the Camaro that are a bit on the chunky side, the Chassisworks clip has been proven to remove weight(click). (https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/56759-My-LS7-67-camaro-build-with-all-the-goodies)How much weight? Well that depends on what you're bolting to the clip. The intended use of the car can swing the needle on the scale pretty significantly.

Without taking into account every the possible configuration it's pretty much impossible to tell you how much the weight will vary. However, lowered weight is not the be-all-end-all magic bullet to a good handling car. The frame is the lowest part of the car which helps keep the center of gravity close to the ground.

Frankly, while our clip removes weight, and we're happy about that, we're far more happy than it is incredibly strong. So strong that it doesn't require a second crossmember. This is possible because of our unique overlapping panel construction. Each piece of the frame rail locks into the next during construction so when it goes into the fixture they fit perfectly.

Just for giggles, here's a list of the BIG options, there are lots of smaller options.

VariShock Street Coilovers, standard travel with 9" springs for street and handling.
SS - Factory Valving
QS1 - QuickSet 1 Single Adjustable
QS2 - QuickSet 2 Double Adjustable
Q4-R - Four-Way Adjustable with Remote Reservoirs (Trackday and Autocross)

VariShock Street-Strip Coilovers, extended travel with 12" springs for more stored energy.
QS1
QS2

Spindles
Lightweight Fabricated Drag Race Spindle
Sculpted Street Machine Spindle
Billet gStreet Aluminum Upright with Unit-Bearing hub

Brakes
Medium Duty, single vane 11.75" rotor, 4 piston WW Dynalite calipers for Drag Spindle
Medium Duty, single vane 11.75" rotor, 4 piston WW Dynalite calipers for Sculpted Spindle
Heavy Duty, dual vane, vented and slotted, 11.75 rotors, 4 piston WDynalite calipers for Sculpted Spindle
13" Wilwood Rotor with 4-piston WW Dynapro for Sculpted Spindle
13" Wilwood Rotor with 6-piston WW SL6 Caliper for Sculpted Spindle
14" Wilwood Rotor with 6-piston WW SL6 Caliper for Sculpted Spindle
14" Wilwood Rotor with 6-Piston WW Aero Caliper for gStreet Billet upright
15" Wilwood Rotor with 6-Piston WW Aero Caliper for gStreet Billet upright

You can learn about ALL of our Camaro suspension options by downloading the Camaro PDF Catalog HERE.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/03/BG_201_277x360-1.jpg (http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachments/Catalogs/BG_201.pdf)

This car attained 49.7% front / 50.3% rear weight distributionhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/07/Camaro69_LittlefieldCustoms_autocross01a-1.jpg (http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_testimonials_LittlefiledCamaro.html)

killer69
04-11-2016, 07:04 AM
I have and have been in contact with Roger and Jay but they could not give me an actual weight. If I go with speed tech, I would be purchasing the AFX spindles and 13" wildwood brake kit. DO you still sell the down bars too? Is that weight for the spindles 27 lbs each or for the set? Thanks for the other numbers.

Yes we do have the down bars.
The 27 lb is for the pair.
Wilwood 13" would be less weight as well

Sales-TCI-Eng
04-11-2016, 08:11 AM

That is a compete front end weight with standard 11" rotors and big bore GM calipers. The Wilwood 12" aluminum hub and 4 piston caliper upgrade is actually a few lbs lighter per side. The 13" Wilwood with 6 piston is a few lbs heavier total.

-J

bb557camaro
04-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the information. I will be making a decision soon.

David Pozzi
04-11-2016, 06:16 PM
A stock first gen Camaro sub complete with stock disc brakes, Power Steering including the pump, hoses, and brackets, - no wheels, no tires: 343
With manual steering: 315.5
Bare sub stock: 110
Crossmember for 4 speed: 10

Art Morrison sub with all suspension, coil overs, 6 piston 14" brakes, power rack: 301

another69
04-12-2016, 01:32 PM
This has been really helpful. Can't believe the Art Morrison is almost 200 pounds lighter than the DSE!

bb557camaro
04-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Just bought the TCI. I figure it's at least 50 pounds lighter than my stock factory disc brake, manual steering, 4 speed clip. I plan to weigh both once the TCI arrives and the stock is out from under the car to get an exact number and I can post that here if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the assistance.