PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing Stock Lower Control Arms (LCA)

427camaro
01-13-2014, 04:56 PM
I remember a while back seeing a post on reinforcing the stock lower control arms, but when it came time to actually do it I had a hard time finding anything so I decided I would share how I went about it in hopes that it might help some of those guys (like me) on a tight budget and looking to save a little $$ by reinforcing the stock lowers.

If I remember right, the method I saw was to completely cover the bottom of the control arm boxing it in. After looking at the control arm stamping I decided to go a different route since one side of the arm is raised a little higher than the other so covering it with one piece didn't seem like the best method to me.

I used 1/8" angle steel and followed the indent on each side to create a square tube frame. I made a number of cuts down the side of the angle and scored the top of the piece to form it. Before welding the pieces in I welded the cuts up and smoothed them out. I am not the greatest welder, but I'm learning.
(I straighten the dent out on the other side.)

Same thing was done on other side. Also created a piece for the front and back to complete the triangular frame.
I also wrapped a strip of 1/8 steel around the ball joint pocket then welded and smoothed of course.
And the finished product vs Stock.....

They will soon be equipped with Moog ball joints and DSE bushings. Hope this helps....

Rod
01-13-2014, 05:19 PM
They will soon be equipped with Moog ball joints and DSE bushings. Hope this helps....

nice job! great ideas, but you hope it helps? what?

BonzoHansen
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
i think the ball joint are is really the weakest part. the rest may be over kill.

427camaro
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
nice job! great ideas, but you hope it helps? what?

Thanks. Hopefully the post is helpful to someone.

Rod
01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks. Hopefully the post is helpful to someone.

oh I get it, sorry, I thought you meant it help the geometry somehow

i think the ball joint are is really the weakest part. the rest may be over kill.

your right Bonzo that's were I have see most of the cracks in stock arms is in the press-in balljoint area

427camaro
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM

I think you may be right. I tend to go beyond what is neccesary, but it looks cool. lol

427camaro
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Rod;1043616]oh I get it, sorry, I thought you meant it help the geometry somehow

Nope. My Speedtech Uppers and gulstrand mod should help with that.

Rod
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE]
Nope. My Speedtech Uppers and gulstrand mod should help with that.

:cool:

JRouche
01-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Hey Nick. Loved it. Thats the type of stuff I like and "Try" to do. Your skills are "top notch" , yeah pun also intended :) Keep the updates going. JR

Build-It-Break-It
01-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Not to be a bubble buster but i think by reinforcing the rest of the A arm you actually made the ball joint area even weaker. The reinforcing that you did doesn't allow the a arm to flex . Since the entire a arm doesn't flex like before the weaker part becomes the ball joint area. It actually makes the ball joint area more likely to break which has always been the weakest part of these a arms....

427camaro
01-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Hey Nick. Loved it. Thats the type of stuff I like and "Try" to do. Your skills are "top notch" , yeah pun also intended :) Keep the updates going. JR

Thanks, JR! I'm a do it myself type, but I do spend a good bit of time researching things be for a take a swing at most things.

427camaro
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Not to be a bubble buster but i think by reinforcing the rest of the A arm you actually made the ball joint area even weaker. The reinforcing that you did doesn't allow the a arm to flex . Since the entire a arm doesn't flex like before the weaker part becomes the ball joint area. It actually makes the ball joint area more likely to break which has always been the weakest part of these a arms....

Not sure if you saw, but I reinforced the ball joint area as well which is about 1/4 of steel now around the ball joint pocket. My initial intentions were to just do the ball joint area, but this lower arm had been hit pretty hard at some point (curb?) about half way up the arm which I assume would create a vulnerable spot for cracks to form. I decided to go a little further than my initial plan due to that. Did I go a little further than necessary, maybe..? But I think the ball joint area will be ok or I guess I'll find out. lol :drive2: I do appreciate any opinions or inputs, so no worries.