PDA

View Full Version : Lexus sc400 suspension. Budget option for my Mustang.

Bschnee
01-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a 1965 Mustang with rusted floor boards and frame rails. I came across poopy's Volvo project and thought that might be a good route to take with my car. If anyone has any insight to this idea please share. There is an sc400 just down the road from me for sale for $800 and I'm thinking I should go get it and graft the chassis under the mustang body. The wheel base and track width is almost the same and there is huge aftermarket support for the sc400 chassis.

TonyHuntimer
01-01-2014, 01:45 PM
I have a 1965 Mustang with rusted floor boards and frame rails. I came across poopy's Volvo project and thought that might be a good route to take with my car. If anyone has any insight to this idea please share. There is an sc400 just down the road from me for sale for $800 and I'm thinking I should go get it and graft the chassis under the mustang body. The wheel base and track width is almost the same and there is huge aftermarket support for the sc400 chassis.

Bschnee,
It sounds like a good option if you're building it to keep and enjoy. Resale on a hybrid car like this is usually not great. Since there's good aftermarket support for the SC400, it sounds like it could be a fun car.

:)
Tony Huntimer
TestCarDatabase

no go nova
01-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Go for it a great ride and handling and doesnt it have the V-8 already?

1970 TT Rustang
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I would do the lexus and get rid of the v8 and do a 2jzgte motor

Bschnee
01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't really care about the resale value. I saw Ron's 1965 and that thing is insane. I can't figure out how he got his rear fenders to look like that, they are perfect!!

jakespeeds
01-04-2014, 06:22 AM
You might want to check out this webpage http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0704_1965_ford_mustang/photo_02.html The owner of the car also has a webpage showing a lot of detail on how he did it. If you're going to use the Lexus I say keep it 1U. I have a 1UZ in my 73 Nova SS. Its not up and running yet but it is very easy to put that engine in the 500 - 600 horsepower range.

Jake

Bschnee
01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I thought i was breaking ground by putting a 1uzfe in an american car but oh well lol.

Bschnee
01-04-2014, 10:43 AM
This is the rear fender in question. Did he fab these? or are they over the counter? How he do that?

srh3trinity
01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
This is the rear fender in question. Did he fab these? or are they over the counter? How he do that?

He fabbed them. He has a knack dor that.

jakespeeds
01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
I thought i was breaking ground by putting a 1uzfe in an american car but oh well lol.

Sorry about that. I am a huge fan of that engine. Just finished up one into a Merkur XR4ti. If you're going to run a manual transmission you will have to do some fabbing or buy a kit. They only came with automatics.

Jake

Bschnee
01-04-2014, 06:40 PM
If I do the 1uzfe i will do the w58 trans swap kit or I will to the 5.0 t5 combo. I am worried about the rear track width as I don't want to do some goofy looking fender flares against the straight body lines. I need to figure out how to that camaro bulged fender look in the rear, I have a plan for the front.

jakespeeds
01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
If you're going to use a W58 try and find one from a MKIV Supra non turbo. They were improved from the previous versions. I went with the R154. But if you are going to buy a conversion kit then no big deal. If you are going to build the manual transmission adapter there are a couple of people that sell plans. I did not like any of those because they are designed to be cheap for the DIY guy. My adapter is a bit more expensive to make. But if you go on Grabcad I have it there for a free download of the solid model. I have built a few and they work no problem. But if you are going to build your own adapter you might want to customize the adapter to accept a T5 depending on the output shaft diameter.

Jake

andrewb70
01-05-2014, 08:56 AM
There is an Australian company that makes bell housings for the 1UZ to adapt various transmissions. I was fascinated with this engine for a long time. The main problem with it is that it is hard to make power NA, so turbo is the only way to go.

Andrew

jakespeeds
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
I am guessing you are talking about Dellow Conversions. Good company and nice parts. The 1U can be pumped up to 450 horsepower in NA trim but it will cost up to at least 15K to do it properly and not be very streetable. I am using the M112 supercharger. I am making my own intake but companies like Bullet make a complete kit and a nice intake. But they are made to be installed under the low hood of a SC400. So the require some modifications to supercharger I do not care for. There is or was a company called Richmond that made a intake that required no modifications to the supercharger but those intakes can be hard to find. Turbocharging works well but I have never seen a quality kit made. Also the way the 1U makes power the turbocharger kits don't work well on a road track. There are centrifugal jobs build by individuals and that works pretty well as long as you have the room. The engines are incredibly stout and a lot of people run them up around 8500 rpm.

Jake

Greg55_99
01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
There was a gent in Thailand that did this to a Mustang. I've got the pics but can't find the link just now. Both IFS and IRS fit pretty well.

Greg

Bschnee
01-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I have been searching for that build. I think he used a gs400 as a donor car.