PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the inside of your frame from rust

RNation0001
12-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Hey guys i'm about to clean and paint the underside of my 67 Camaro and I've been researching ways and products to coat the inside of the frame rails. stumbled upon a Jeep site where I found this recipe that I thought id share and see if anyone has used it and ask what your thoughts were on it.

Gallon of Mineral Spirits ( or diesel fuel, or turpintine )
pound of parafin wax or toilet bowl rings
quart of non detergent oil like sae30

grind up wax and disolve it into the heated mineral spirits, once disolved add the oil then put in plant sprayer and coat the inside of the frame very well. clean inside of frame before you apply of course.

From what I read the mineral spirits will evaporate leaving a wax and oil coating, if wax gets scratched the oil will actually seep into those spots protecting it from rust. Several people swore by it. and one said he even experimented with it by coating a steel bar and hanging it from his dock at the ocean and after weeks still no rust.

Has anyone used this method before?? also would it be good for the outside of the frame, maybe paint the frame and underside with rustoleum then put a coat of wax/oil.

raustinss
12-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I've never heard of that...not saying it wouldn't work but it wouldn't be permanent. If your looking for something permanent for the front subframe some guys are galvanizing their frames and then powder coating them whatever colour they want
Good luck Ryan Austin

RNation0001
12-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Thats awesome, sounds very expensive tho. Im looking for the cheap way out lol, which I realize is never a good idea while doing car restomods, but I may give it a go and see how it goes.

Build-It-Break-It
12-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Eastwood has an internal frame coating. I'm not promoting it but have used it in my build. Its a spray in and only cost about $12 a can. I used a couple and it coats really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

raustinss
12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Depending on your area and knowledge of fab shops. Try hitting up a fab shop they might be able to toss your subframe in with something else..save you some cash I've heard of guys doing Chevelle frames for around 600-700$ ish so I'd want to guess you should be about half that. There are spray on paints that can go over galvanizing as well. If you don't want to powder coat.
Ryan Austin

dontlifttoshift
12-05-2013, 01:43 PM
The frame rails did make it 45 years, didn't they?

alphaenvirmgt
12-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Por?

Nothingface5384
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
I've always thought about coating frame with por 15..then top layer it with lizard skin

RNation0001
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
lol yea true 45 years is a long time. yea i thought about por15 as well. but i have a gallon of rustoleum from another project so ill probably just use it. i just wondered if anyone had ever tried it, the theory sounds right.

RNation0001
12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
speaking of rustoleum anyone know what kind of hardener you can add to it? acrylic enamel hardener or urathane or something else lol?

TheJDMan
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Eastwood has an internal frame coating. I'm not promoting it but have used it in my build. Its a spray in and only cost about $12 a can. I used a couple and it coats really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm7W7Db5vdw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I used the Eastwood internal frame coating on all the internal places I could access. I like the 24" wand that comes with the product. You can reach virtually anywhere inside the frame rail. I did this on my DSE subframe before painting it.

mmosley
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Hey guys i'm about to clean and paint the underside of my 67 Camaro and I've been researching ways and products to coat the inside of the frame rails. stumbled upon a Jeep site where I found this recipe that I thought id share and see if anyone has used it and ask what your thoughts were on it.

Gallon of Mineral Spirits ( or diesel fuel, or turpintine )
pound of parafin wax or toilet bowl rings
quart of non detergent oil like sae30

grind up wax and disolve it into the heated mineral spirits, once disolved add the oil then put in plant sprayer and coat the inside of the frame very well. clean inside of frame before you apply of course.

From what I read the mineral spirits will evaporate leaving a wax and oil coating, if wax gets scratched the oil will actually seep into those spots protecting it from rust. Several people swore by it. and one said he even experimented with it by coating a steel bar and hanging it from his dock at the ocean and after weeks still no rust.

Has anyone used this method before?? also would it be good for the outside of the frame, maybe paint the frame and underside with rustoleum then put a coat of wax/oil.

Sounds a lot like Cosmoline. Navy, Army used to coat metal parts for storage or sea shipment in Cosmoline and, if possible wrap or bag in plastic. I have heard of people opening the bags 50 years later, cleaning off the Cosmoline and using the like new part.

shep
12-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Galvanizing isn't all that expensive I found a place with in and hours drive that will do it for $0.75 a Lb.