PDA

View Full Version : Calling on Steering Geometry Experts! - Center Take Off (CTO) Rack & Pinion Geometry

waid786
12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I am not an expert when it comes to steering geometry.

I have a question regarding Center Take Off Rack & Pinion used by cars such as Chrysler 300M and Honda Civic. GM used them for a long time as well. There are several kits out there for Vintage Mustangs which uses early Chevy Cavalier units but with an adapter to move out the inner tie rod pivot point. I would think this adapter would create additional stress on the center bolts from side loading. The bottom picture is a R&P from Randall for early Mustangs.

How does Chrysler 300M and Honda Civic compensate for any bump steer since the pivot point of the inner tie rods are almost center of the car?

Is the adapter bar needed to move out the pivot point on early Mustang?

Thank you

MrQuick
12-11-2013, 10:11 AM
You are right, the 90's up 300's did wear out the center joint alot. Also tie rod ends as well as cracking the rack supports.

On the bumpsteer concern it is all about the way the suspension pivots. SLA suspensions have two arms that move in an arc. The strut suspension has less of an arch provided by the lower arm and the closer the tie rod is to the top pivot will the less bump it will have in theory. Its all about matching arc movment of the lower control arm and tie rod.

David Pozzi
12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Bumpsteer info here: http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=13