PDA

View Full Version : spring mods

rowdy51
11-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Has anyone done a car on a budget and cut a coil off the front coil and pulled a leaf from the rear to lower? What were the results or good idea bad idea?

Nothingface5384
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
I think its a bad idea as it changes the spring rate..also if you cut too much youre screwed
never heat the coil spring either
rear you can always just get a drop ubolt kit from advance

T_Raven
11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
People will argue about this until the end of time, but cutting coil springs has been common in the race world for years. The biggest problem with cutting coils is using the same shocks. Cutting a coil will make it stiffer, which is usually not a bad thing since aftermarket coils would be stiffer anyway. However removing a leaf in the rear would make the spring softer, so a drop block kit is probably a better idea.

To drop a car on the cheap, I don't see anything wrong with cutting coils. It's probably not going to ride the best, especially with stock shocks, but it doesn't cost anything to do, so if you hate it you can always upgrade later.

rowdy51
11-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Thx for the advice guys.

SLO_Z28
11-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Cuting a coil will not change its rate. On most muscle cars the correct rate of springs is only aboit $100. You can have leaf springs de arched and not lose any rate as well.

Nothingface5384
11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
actually it does, just does opposite of what I assumed
cutting the coil spring shorter increases the rate of the spring..so i guess no cons to doing this as i originally thought

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/cuttingcoilspringscalculations/

BMR Sales
11-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Everytime I watched the TV Show "Car Warriors" they cut a Coil & they always went Too Far - if you do that, you're Toast & have to buy a new set!

Nothingface5384
11-26-2013, 08:58 AM
so, cut half a coil instead..install..if not to your liking cut the other half to get 1 full coil off
but that just sounds like a pain in the arse to do haha

rowdy51
11-26-2013, 10:11 AM
I had a thought in that if you think what comes on a stock engine heavy cast parts vs performance parts like intake aluminum water pump no ac. I wonder what the affect if any that would be?

Twentyover
11-26-2013, 06:08 PM
On the rear, reverse the spring eye.There's a couple threads on the HAMB on homebuilt tools to reverse the eye