PDA

View Full Version : Want ideas for 1975 Omega (4th Gen Nova?) Suspension Upgrades

e129745
11-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Have 1975 Olds Omega. It's my son's car, but I know he'd like to get the most out of what he has and I thought I'd try to help. I have an A-body, in the process of saving and day dreaming about my want/need list I've put together. Savitske has helped me gain confidence on my choices and helped adjust the order of improvments, etc.
My research shows it to be an X-Body that appears to be same as 4th gen Nova platform. I have found next to nothing as far as minor to moderate suspension mods. including Savitskes book, which I recommend to anyone looking to get a layman's grasp of the simpler things as far as suspension engineering goes. What have some of you folks done or heard of being done??
This is a Street only daily driver, no competition courses or the like. Moderate power, 400hp-395ft/lbs, 3 speed TH350 auto, low stall. low 3s for rear gears, 15" wheels with common bfg rubber, etc, etc. Not a straight track for sure and it won't compete in slalom or the like, but want low $ input for even more improvement in handling, as for handling I mean staying on line in some corners and not exiting the asphalt abruptly. .
I'm guessing the obvious like digressive shocks (well, at near $800 the 4 shocks are defiantly spendy, but required I'm told/read), and higher rate rear leafs with minor lowering for ic?, maybe higher rate minor lowering in front for same?. Seen that new, maybe poly body bushings are good idea to stiffen frame, and where does a guy go to see front sub-connector improver kits. Do you simply weld and call it good? Likely sways front and back, unless the existing rates are good? Don't know. I think I'm understanding that the front geometry it pretty decent as is, compared to my `68 Olds Cutlass. Guess that's why little if anything ( I couldn't find anything less than front clip, coil-over, Rack and Pinion, etc $$, etc) is to be found for a 4th gen Nova, nothing for an Omega by name.
Yep, I plan on giving Mark at SC & C a call soon, wanted to kick start my research. What companies offer moderate improvements for 1975 and up Novas? (again, I really mean Omega, guess it's the same?) All I seem to find are big dollar front sub-frame assemblies that look powder coated, chrome kool, but I want to simply offer ideas that will improve what he already has and need an idea what has/is being done.
Ya I know; wordy, I'm working on it, but even so, Thanks for any input,
Patrick

chevelletiger
11-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Hello patrick,from what ive read the xbody shares the same front suspension components as the 2n gen fbodys,and shares the same rear components as the 1st gen fbodys,so you could piece kits from speed tech,dse,hotchkis,ridetech.ect. That have been engineered for handling and performance.sub frame connectors would stiffen up the...the omega is unibody.

e129745
11-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Roger that, I've seen the compatibility as far as part fitment.
So now... are the pickup points the same between the two applications of bolted on OEM parts to begin with? and what warrants any upgrade at all and to what? I think its good to know that many/most of the parts are interchangeable, but I suspect the application of these parts in relationship to suspension geometry may likely have differences. Also, I note that after-marketing doesn't list/designate parts as "2nd Gen F/4th Gen X" together for an application. I don't want to muddy up the water, but I think marketing of both F-platform and X-platform cars were aiming at different crowds. I want to modify the Omega from that original one crowd to a much smaller sub-crowd, one that is aware that soft, slow and cushy doesn't mean classy, luxurious and expensive.
Also, Checking into sub-frame connectors in a very limited way, I'm finding separate part numbers for various year F-bodies and I think 68-76 X body. Is the same sub-frame connector improver applicable to either a F or X, given the same part number?
Patrick

BMR Sales
11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Patrick, Here at BMR Suspension, we have Tubular A-Arms, Sway Bars & a Torque Arm Kit for 68-79 X-Bodies (68-74 for the Torque Arm).

Give me a Call with any Questions.

T.C.