PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Pontiac Ventura II

freebird
11-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Hello All,

I do apologize for troubling you with these questions as I am sure you get asked all the time. Anyhow, I need some advice with my vehicle particularly in the suspension department. As you read, I have a 1971 Pontiac Ventura II which from my understand is identical to the nova at least in its mechanical components. It is completely stock and is equipped with a 307/3 speed manual drive train. I plan to use this car on a daily basis and would like to improve its suspension and handling a tad bit with out breaking the bank. (Not planning on racing or pro-touring) The only thing I want to change would be maybe switching the 3 speed manual for a 5 speed manual but I don't even know when that will be or which transmission to use. I am looking for drivability more so.

Can you give me the best course of action from the list below or your own opinion all together;

1. Purchase a polygraphite performance Super Front End Kit from PST and rebuild the suspension http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.156/.f?sc=12
a. Would I benefit from the Guldstrand mod?
b. Should I change the gear box?
c. What about the front springs? Not sure what spring rate I should use or just retain stock height and rate
d. What of front sway bar diameters? I read somewhere that Addco sway bars are great but not sure how to determine which diameter 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch

2. Purchase upper tubular control arms and rebuild/retain stock lowers and still use polygraphite performance suspension components from PST.
a. I am not in a position to afford a full kit from speedtech that costs $1500 plus like http://www.speedtechperformance.com/...prod/prd75.htm (http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=75/category_id=56/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd75.htm)
b. Can I benefit from just ordering upper tubular control arms or do I have to have both?

3. Purchase Hot Rods to Hell Lower control arms and rebuild/retain stock uppers and still use polygraphite performance suspension components from PST.
These arms are a direct bolt on improvement and are one of the easiest bang for the buck improvements that you can make on your car. We have designed them to be compatible with stock spindles. These arms utilize a tall screw in ball joint (MOOG) which corrects the camber curve, eliminating understeer. We have also moved the spring centerline 1" closer to ball joint centerline widening the spring track and improving roll rate.

They are $595.00 plus shipping but I am in California Riverside so I can pick them up.
a. Would I benefit from the Guldstrand mod?

REAR SUSPENSION:

I have a 3.08 10 bolt rear with mono leafs. I don't know where to start with the rear.
1. Sway bars? will I benefit and are the essential to install
2. upgrade to a multi-leaf and weld and modify the current rear
3. Find a new 10-bolt rear that has multi leafs
4. Can I retain the mono leaf and replace the front and rear bushings? Are mono leafs even worth it.

I am not stuck on PST suspension components. I am open to any company that you may suggest.

Thank you very much for your time and sorry about the long script,

Joe Acosta

astroracer
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey Joe,
Love the Ventura's, yea they are just a Nova in disguise, but that makes them easy to work on...
As far as mods go, if you are simply wanting to tighten the car up and improve the handling a bit, keep it simple. Rebuild the suspensions with stock rubber bushings, lower the car a few inches, add some decent shocks and throw on some sway bars. 17's with 40 series tires will help also. This will get you started without breaking the bank and is something that can be done on a long weekend. The rubber bushings will keep the ride comfortable and you will see quite an improvement over the worn out stuff that's in there right now.
Mark