PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech, detriot speed, hotchkis???????????

GS455vert
11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
If you knew what you know now, back then who's complete suspension would you buy and why? Got a 70 Nova that I plan on giving the pro tour treatment. Want to go non-air, stock subframe, but with a complete kit, not wanting to try and cobble many together UNLESS there is a sercet combo????????

Thanks

makoshark
11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
If you are adamant about keeping the stock subframe, then I'd go with Ridetech all the way with a Lee or DSE 670 steering box. However, for just a weebit more money, you could do a complete Speedtech subframe setup.

chocthunder
11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I had the same guestion when I started to upgrade my camaro. All of those companys that you mentioned have great products as does Speedtech. My big deciding factor was my driving ability and how much my abilities would improve in years to come. I believe that the Hotchkiss system was the best match for me. I believe that my abilities would never exceed the capabilities of the Hotchkiss system. Also with Hotchkiss it is very easy to return the car to stock if I ever wish to. I decided on Hotchkiss for these reasons. I hope that helps with your decision.

GS455vert
11-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I may go with a subframe, but realistcally may never drive to the benifits of it. I'm new to the pro touring approach and am looking to get eductaed on the right directiion to go with my Nova.

makoshark
11-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Decide how you intend to drive the car, your mechanical skills and tools available to you and what your budget is. Once you have made those decisions, then do a search on the topic as this has been discussed in great length many times.

The ability to return the vehicle back to stock is really a moot point. If the car being worked on is a rare breed, then it should be kept stock. If it is a run of the mill car, then there would never be any need to return the vehicle back to stock. Quite frankly, stock sucks!:)

chocthunder
11-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Stock is not for me, but there are those out there that like stock cars. This is an ever changing sport and no one really knows what will be next. It may be an advantage to return a car to stock in the future. When new technology comes along I would like to be able to use it if possible. If a car has been modified too much if may not be able to take advantage of the new technology. I like to have options, just my opinion.

makoshark
11-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I have full front and rear Ridetech suspension on my car. It is 99% bolt. That 1% was the upper link brackets to the rear end.

I couldn't imagine the protouring fad going anywhere anytime soon. Where do we go from here? Convert our cars to fly?

TheJDMan
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Even if you keep the stock subframe, you will need to remove it and weld it up as described in numerious threads. If you use the stock subframe I would recommend all Ridetech suspension. If however, you are considering an aftermarket subframe, I recommend DSE. DSE is the ONLY manufacturer that is using hydroformed rails. I looked at a lot of subframes before I purchased and have not regretted my choice. I love my DSE subframe for spirited street driving as well as autox and HPDE.

The best part is when you have completed your PT suspension upgrade and you can hang with the Corvettes and Porsches on twisty roads. It shocks the hell out of them when they look in the mirror and you're still there after the twisties.

brownz
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
With stock sub Ride tech. If I had big money DSE.

Bad94
11-13-2013, 07:22 PM
I have a 72 Nova that has every part that Ride Tech has for the car. Very happy with there products.

GS455vert
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM
I have a 72 Nova that has every part that Ride Tech has for the car. Very happy with there products. Kind of leaning that way myself. The plan at least for now is to go with the complete Ride Tech kit, DSE wide tubs/frame mod, subframe connectors, body bushings, and weld up my stock subframe. This could of course change 50 times, but with the lack of autocross events/track days in my area I'll likely never drive it even remotely close to it's limits any way's.

killer69
11-15-2013, 05:40 PM
if you are keeping the stock sub look at the Speedtech Chicane coil over (even ridetech uses this system) and the Road assault package. if you want to talk about a full sub and want to keep it affordable give us a call.

BMR Sales
11-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I think you need to also look at our Products. USA Made. USA Materials. We've got A-Arms, Sway Bars, Springs, Torque Arm Kit - all Bolt On!

T.C.

Rod
11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I want to chime in now, that this thread has some go, I don't have a dog in this fight, my first question is what do you want to do with the car? and what do you want it to look like and finally what is your ability to build and tune? budget? from the three you asked about I was sponsored buy 1 and now another and I have used and installed all those companies parts

lets start with the rear
Hotchkis stuff, leafs, easy bolt on no real tuning needed, no need to figure out pinion angles, lateral dimensions, or anti squats, bolt on go fast and not to be mean 90% of most drivers will never out drive the setup, a friend of mine won 14 national SCCA championships, numerous goodguys events, and did very well a few years in a row at optima on those leafs, looks stock
Ridetech stuff, 4-link, easy bolt on, with some welding, so if you don't weld, you will have install cost, most shops in my area are 85 bucks and hour, and like a shop I help at its a minimum 2 hour charge, a little more tuning ability needed to install, easy to learn many people here will help and they have a great techline to call for help, many of the top racers have switched to link rear suspension, its very fast and 100% of the people will NEVER out drive it, looks cool you can get some wide azz tires under there with minitubs
DSE stuff, a carbon copy of info from the ridetech statement, with a lot more welding, its very fast and 100% of the people will NEVER out drive it, looks cool you can get some wide azz tires under there with minitubs also

subframe connectors
Hotchkis stuff, bolt and weld easy install
Ridetech stuff, no connector available, they recommend there tiger cage for chassis stiffening
DSE stuff, full weld, cut floors and seam seal

hope some of this helps we can talk about the front later

Vortech404
11-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I would go with Speed tech. You see Blake on here helping
With questions. I just like the torque arm setup. Had one on my 3rd gen and 4th gen. When has anybody seen DSE on here posting?
BMR and Ride tech are also on here helping out.

I went with Speed Tech.

John

GS455vert
11-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I appreciate the feedback! My thinking is if I can learn and make better decisions from others experiences/mistakes all the better for me, the car, and my pocketbook. This car has been with me for years, very solid 63K original mile SS 350 car, rare optioned F41, 12 bolt etc....car without the original motor/trans SO it deserves some "cashola" thrown at it and make it a fun/solid car. I just flat out do not have the venue to run the car to it's limits, so with that said I would like it to be a great driver that does it all well, looks good and doesn't break me unnecessarily. I can fabricate and have the tools experience to take on DSE type of fab work. Plan on DSE tubs and connecters as I like the big rear tires and tucked connectors. O yeah I forgot this car will be running a 600+ hp 468 big block motor. Not the best for handling, but this thing sounds like everything good in the mechanical world at idle. Thanks

Rod
11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
cool, sounds like you already made the decision, make a build thread and keep us informed, have fun

MrQuick
11-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I appreciate the feedback! My thinking is if I can learn and make better decisions from others experiences/mistakes all the better for me, the car, and my pocketbook. This car has been with me for years, very solid 63K original mile SS 350 car, rare optioned F41, 12 bolt etc....car without the original motor/trans SO it deserves some "cashola" thrown at it and make it a fun/solid car. I just flat out do not have the venue to run the car to it's limits, so with that said I would like it to be a great driver that does it all well, looks good and doesn't break me unnecessarily. I can fabricate and have the tools experience to take on DSE type of fab work. Plan on DSE tubs and connecters as I like the big rear tires and tucked connectors. O yeah I forgot this car will be running a 600+ hp 468 big block motor. Not the best for handling, but this thing sounds like everything good in the mechanical world at idle. Thanks

Lets talkk about the front now.
Anything you can do to the front suspension to improve the geometry will help in a big way. Choose and build you car for what you will be using it for. Sounds like you have an average street terror car coming together. Keep it simple.

I built a 69 Big block nova a few years back and ran the ATS tall spindle, Energy Suspension control arm bushings, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, 2nd generation Camaro quick ratio steering box and a DSE hollow bar. It responded very well to this simple combination.

GS455vert
11-19-2013, 07:41 AM
With the front, the plan, at least in my head is the Ride Tech system again. I feel it is usually better to use complete/balanced systems than cobble together many systems and hope they will work? I will use the stock sub and weld it up, use some DSE half height mounts and get the appropriate springs for the big block.

Rod
11-19-2013, 09:00 AM
With the front, the plan, at least in my head is the Ride Tech system again. I feel it is usually better to use complete/balanced systems than cobble together many systems and hope they will work? I will use the stock sub and weld it up, use some DSE half height mounts and get the appropriate springs for the big block.

Its not cobbling when you mix manufactures, because no one manufacture builds the perfect system or builds everything, the tru-turn system is the best improvement you can do to those chassis, I used there tru-turn with several manufactures arms(Hotchkis, Global west, DSE and even tried those eBay arms) non of those arms help the geometry as much as the tru-turn does but some did help the tru-turn, I "cobbled" together a front suspension system from 5 different manufactures to create what I felt was a better geometry on my car and proved it with a year of testing, tuning, winning and discussions with a ridetech engineer, and now a that basic geometry is replicated on there new geometry arms

OK I like your plan
weld seams on stock frame(remember stitch weld slowly and change area of welds every few inches to keep from warping the frame)
add ridetech, tru-turn and arms
coil overs with springs, (my suggestion is 700 pounders, and a single adjust shock is great, triples are awesome and tough to tune)
Half height bushings might be a little low the tru-turn already drops the car 2inches and there arms and coilover set up drop the car a little bit more see the image below my car has stock height Global west body bushings

don't forget to get a quick ration steering box(AGR 12:1 or someone like that) and a good pump and cooler to run it

and Have fun

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/11/GEDC1717_zps7dcee820-1.jpg

GS455vert
11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Its not cobbling when you mix manufactures, because no one manufacture builds the perfect system or builds everything, the tru-turn system is the best improvement you can do to those chassis, I used there tru-turn with several manufactures arms(Hotchkis, Global west, DSE and even tried those eBay arms) non of those arms help the geometry as much as the tru-turn does but some did help the tru-turn, I "cobbled" together a front suspension system from 5 different manufactures to create what I felt was a better geometry on my car and proved it with a year of testing, tuning, winning and discussions with a ridetech engineer, and now a that basic geometry is replicated on there new geometry arms

OK I like your plan
weld seams on stock frame(remember stitch weld slowly and change area of welds every few inches to keep from warping the frame)
add ridetech, tru-turn and arms
coil overs with springs, (my suggestion is 700 pounders, and a single adjust shock is great, triples are awesome and tough to tune)
Half height bushings might be a little low the tru-turn already drops the car 2inches and there arms and coilover set up drop the car a little bit more see the image below my car has stock height Global west body bushings

don't forget to get a quick ration steering box(AGR 12:1 or someone like that) and a good pump and cooler to run it

and Have fun

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/11/GEDC1717_zps7dcee820-1.jpgRod thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'm trying to get up to speed with all the suppliers/options out there for the " Slowva". I see now that the half height mounts combined with the true turn will likely compound a low ride height. Rod your car is awsome, congrats on the spread in Popular hot rodding awhile back.

BMR Sales
11-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Good Luck with the "Slowva" Build! You asked about Products from Good Companies and you will never hear me say anything Bad about Quality Products from Quality Companies. We here at BMR Suspensions, are friends with those other guys, which I think is important as we ultimately trying to help the Car Community.

You've done some research & gotten Good Advice. I look forward to your Build & if there is anything I can help you with, give me a Call!

T.C.

GS455vert
11-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Good Luck with the "Slowva" Build! You asked about Products from Good Companies and you will never hear me say anything Bad about Quality Products from Quality Companies. We here at BMR Suspensions, are friends with those other guys, which I think is important as we ultimately trying to help the Car Community.

You've done some research & gotten Good Advice. I look forward to your Build & if there is anything I can help you with, give me a Call!

T.C.I checked out your BMR torque arm install. Looks like a great product!

Rod
11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
I checked out your BMR torque arm install. Looks like a great product!

YEP! and that watts link they use in the best lateral location device you could possible use

GS455vert
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
The plot thickens!!!!!!

evans67
07-21-2014, 02:23 PM
what do you guys like or not like about the Detroit Speed, ride tech, or hotchkis ??

Robsutt
07-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Great thread. I have/had the same questions. I have a 68 RS Camaro Vert. I will never race the car and it will be a driver but want a new car ride feel that can handle well. I was thinking about ChassisWorks complete subframe. Or RideTech with stock subframe. Given I've never even ridden in a car with any of these suspensions it is not easy to decide. All my prior projects were stock suspension.

Guessing for me DSE is too much. Thoughts?