PDA

View Full Version : Too many choices! ('68 Mustang)

Phil 68
11-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I've owned this '68 GT Fastback for 30 years and its always been a work in progress. Its a 390 (FE) car so has some weight in the front end, reduced somewhat with aluminum intake manifold and tube headers.

Most recently I've swapped in a Keisler 5 spd, and converted to EFI with the PowerjectionIII kit.

Now its time to address handling, especially as the last time it was at a "real" garage they told me the lower ball joints are going and I've got play in the tie rod ends. Steering feels pretty loose on-center too.

Its a street car, driven just a few hundred miles a year. I want to tighten up the handling, drop it an inch, and be able to drive with confidence. Suspension is all stock (with addition of Koni red shocks). Not a track car, never will be. Don't want to cut out shock towers.

Long term plan was always to swap to Global West tubular control arms with their 1" drop and negative wedge kit.

But over time so many more options have appeared. Everyone is offering coil-over kits.

Some pretty basic questions maybe, but do the coil overs give a big advantage? They sure cost more. Would I later regret not upgrading to a coil-over kit if I just went forward with the Global West tubular arms?

I like that the Ride Tech coil over kit gives the 1" drop yet mounts to the stock control arm locations (no holes to drill). Any thoughts on that kit? Okay to do just the front end and a year or two down the road also do their 4 link conversion in the rear?

I upgraded from 14" to the OEM-look 15" styled steel wheel (8" x 4.5" backspace) which should have been a perfect fit, but in my case require a thin wheel spacer or they rub on the upper control arms when the steering is hard over. Keeping these wheels as I like that my original GT center caps fit. Any chance of an upper control arm kit giving more room for these wheels to fit? I've also just rolled the front fenders as the 225 60's were rubbing.

Brakes: the car has 11" discs front (OEM), drums in the back. Can go maybe an inch bigger on the front rotor with the 15" wheels, but may not be worth it. I'm interested in what systems are out there. Would like a painless conversion to discs in the back.

Steering: either rebuild or replace the steering box now (maybe a new Flaming River unit) and later down the road consider going rack & pinion? Or is that overkill for a mild street car? Currently manual steering.

Sorry for writing a book here, but looking for input on a sensible modernized system for getting handling where it should be with this car. Budget is always a consideration.

Red67Mustang
11-09-2013, 02:59 PM
You've come to the right place. The guys on here will be able to direct you to the right places. I'll get the ball rolling;

Look at Borgeson for an integrated Power Steering setup... supposed to work great (this is on my to-do list also).

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/19651970_Mustang_Power_Steering_Conversion_Kits-orderby_0-p-1-c-104.html

Also, look at Street Or Track for suspension and brakes. If you should need anything explained, you can call the Owner - he's always been extremely helpful.

http://www.streetortrack.com

Phil 68
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Bump. Really interested in hearing what advantages, if any, there are to coil-overs.

Thx for the referral to Street Or Track. Wasn't aware of them.

Phil

Jeff70
11-11-2013, 10:48 PM
For a street car I would save the cash and skip the coilovers, I believe the only benefit would be to adjust ride height.

Street or Track and Maier racing can definitely lead you in the right direction without spending to much.

marolf101x
11-12-2013, 04:36 AM
"For a street car I would save the cash and skip the coilovers"
I completely disagree. The advantage of choosing spring rates is just as important on a street car as it is a "full race" vehicle. . .instead of making the car faster by tuning with the spring, you are choosing a spring rate that matches how YOU think the car should feel.

With a "drop" spring you get one choice. With coil overs you have many, many choices, which allows you to pick your ride quality.

If you purchase a good shock absorber and a good spring you really don't save much money compared to coil overs.
Don't forget, the shock has as much to do with ride quality as the spring!

Jeff70
11-12-2013, 08:31 AM
You can also buy a spring rate geared more for street like the OP plans to use the car for. " Its a street car, driven just a few hundred miles a year"

It can get costly if you have to buy suspension items to allow you to use a coilover system.

rustomatic
11-12-2013, 11:44 AM
If you learn your preferred spring rate (probably about 700 pounds with the big block), you can have many more affordable choices by going through stock car/circle track suppliers and cutting your own height; in other words, you're not limited to Mustang-specific suppliers. Coilovers are pretty, and your options for quality shocks tend to be much greater these days with coilovers, especially regarding adjustability beyond rebound (see Konis), but it's a matter of what you really want out of the car. Will you benefit from crazy adjustability of ride height, compression, and rebound at all times? Some of us can...

As for steering, if you're okay with the manual setup, I'd recommend the Flaming River Manual box (yes, I've installed two of them); it's better than any manual rack (I have a Unisteer), with way fewer headaches, and would give you the same or better steering ratio (16:1), along with the best turning radius. If you went this route, you could always add electric power assistance to make it easier (given the budget), and even a quickener to speed it up; not all of this would need to be done simultaneously...

To avoid going too crazy here with suggestions, the Global West stuff is nice, as is TCP (I have both on the front of my Falcon), but neither of their normal-configuration (non-coilover) upper arms will give you sufficient clearance with your current tire/rim size (without the spacers) at full lock. They might even make it worse. I have 15X8s with 4.75 backspacing, and need .25" to 5/16 spacers to clear the upper arms at full lock with 225/50/15s.

Nice car!

rustomatic
11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
As for a rear disc setup, the SSBC kits are great, complete, and install very easily, like in a couple of hours. Just be sure that you include an adjustable proportioning valve when you do it, and avoid/remove all residual pressure valves...

Phil 68
11-15-2013, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all the input. Things to think about for sure.

I think I will stay manual steering, never really had an issue with that, just want to lose that loose on-center feel. I'll spend a fair bit of time going through different control arm options over the winter and see what comes out on top.

funcars
11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
If you are driving ajust few hundred miles a year and never taking it to the track or autocrossing you don't probably need to spend a lot of money to improve the feel of the car (unless you want to). Pick proper springs, do the shelby drop of the upper control arms, replace the steering box, new ball joints and pivots and maybe look at slightly larger sway bars front and rear and new bilstein or other good shocks. New bushings in the leafs and matching shocks in the rear. New pads and a good performance alignment and it's probably all you need to be happy with it. There are lots of nice kits you can buy too if you want to spend more. Whatever way you decide to go - good luck with it.