PDA

View Full Version : SPC Front Spring Orientation GM A-body

fsdproject
10-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I have a question about installing the front coil springs in a GM a-body. I have a 1971 Lemans that I am installing tubular upper and lower control arms and lowering springs. When the car is in the ground the front is way too low to the point where I cannot get a floor jack under the crossmember. The body height at the fender opening is 23".

As part of figuring this out I wonder if I have installed the springs correctly, do they need to be oriented or clocked a certain way in the spring pocket? I did do a search and couldn't find any information. These are SPC springs, part number 94392 (as are the control arms). The install instructions on the SPC website are not available for some reason and I did not receive install instructions with the springs. I have the spacer kit but I wanted to see if the springs needed to be installed a certain way before I resort to the spacers.

Thanks

shep
10-19-2013, 09:37 PM
They should index into the control arm and the frame. If they are not installed correctly the car will sit higher so if it is too low now you will need the spacers for sure. I think everybody that has used the SPC control arms has needed to use the spacers to get the car to the correct ride height.

raustinss
10-20-2013, 05:48 AM
The lowered spring perch in the SPC arms is intended to lower the car but, is best when using coil overs because it's easier to fine tune the ride height then. Spacers can be purchased but really how much do you want to raise the front end

fsdproject
10-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for your help and feedback.

The SPC lower control arms are supposed to have about 1.3" of drop in the spring pocket. The SPC springs are supposed to have 1.2" of drop, giving me a total drop of 2.5" I measured the SPC springs and they are 14 1/4", the stock springs were 14"; so I am not sure where the drop is coming from there. I guess the SPC springs compress more than the stock springs.

What's odd is that I have an LS engine in it so it's obviously much lighter than the iron Pontiac engine that it used to have, and I haven't even installed the hood and doors yet and the top of the fender lip is at 23" now and I can't get a floor jack under the front crossmember.

I have the spacer kit which moves the springs up 1" which I understand raises the car up 2". I am concerned even with that and getting the full weight on the car on I am still going to be too low. Somethings just doesn't seem right to me.

At this time I have two questions, how do I index the springs in the pockets? There is really nothing in the LCA spring pocket that is obvious, and I can't really tell where it's supposed to be in the spring pocket in the frame. The cut ends of the coils are both inline with each other and the part numbers stamped on the coil, which way does all that point? My other questions does everyone who usually use these springs install all of the spacers? It seems like the spacers should be used for small adjustments to the ride height, not to correct what seems like a mis-design of parts here.

Thanks again.

raustinss
10-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I couldn't get a pop can under the rocker of my car after I lowered it....unfortunately never got a actual measurement for the fender or anything

rockytopper
10-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Your going to need to use all the spacers in the kit. I have the exact same setup in my 1965 cutlass including the lighter LS1 engine. There is no way you could turn the front tires on my cutlass if the car was any lower.

fsdproject
10-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback Rocky.

I did install all the spacers and they actually raised the front 3 inches, more than the 2 inches the spacers were supposed to. I am happy for now, when I get the real tires on and the car more finished I will make final adjustments then.

Marcus SC&C
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Don`t forget that drop spindles and tall lower ball joints also lower ride height. It`s all cumulative. The SPC lower A arms were designed from the start to use the spacer kits. I wanted them included with every set of arms as standard equipment but it was pointed out to me that a lot of guys would probably buy them to use with stock height springs as the only lowering parts in the system. On pro touring A bodies we`re generally running them with performance lowering springs and tall ball joints or drop spindles of one type or another so the spring spacers kit should certainly be used. I recommend always erring on the side of caution. If the car is too low you can bang up the headers or oil pan, scrape up the tires etc. If the car is a little too high it`s no big deal, it`ll settle some anyway and there`s no harm done.
Your SPC springs are bang on for height and will compress less than stock ones due to their higher rate. If the springs you took out were only 14" tall they either weren`t stock springs or they were trimmed. Anyway, you`re on the right track now. When the car is done and ready to drive you can fine tune it a little more and again after you put some miles on it and true the alignment.

fsdproject
11-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Marcus,

Thanks for the feedback. I am using the stock spindles and the tall ball joints, I didn't realize there was some additional drop with the tall ball joints. As I said the height is good now with all the spacers installed, if anything a little high. The car doesn't have the hood or doors installed; with that, some settling, and the proper tires I should be close and can do some fine-tuning when the car is done.

Thanks for looking out for us and monitoring these forums, you dedication to customer service is very impressive.