PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about using a C5 suspension in vehicles other than C5's

mitch_04
10-19-2013, 05:51 AM
I have some questions for those of you who have put C5 components in your vehicles, those of you who plan on doing it, or those of you who will know the answers regardless of your experience with with C5 parts.

1-a. Did you mount all the control arms at the exact angles and points as they were on the C5?
1-b. If so, where did you find these specs?

2-a. Did you keep the torque tube set-up?
2-b. If not, what did you use for a rear differential?

3. How does the different wheelbase and width affect the C5 suspension? For example (made up numbers here) lets say the Corvette has 100" wheelbase and the project vehicle has 110", C5 width is 50" and project is 56". Wouldn't that affect things like anti-squat(rise) and roll centers?

4. Do you believe it's best to try to mount the original control arms or just use the C5 spindle/brakes and construct your own control arms to fit your application? Please explain your choice!

Well, I think that's everything. I've read up some on the C5 suspension and with the parts availability and great handling it seems like a fun project. I'm just hoping to find the answers to some of the things I haven't gotten clarity on. I'll explain below what spurred this thread, my latest toy.

Alrighty, I recently purchased a 1950 Chevy 3600 pickup. I already have a 1947 3100 that will be built back to original, so I want to do the 3600 a little differently. My thoughts are a nice orange and white two tone exterior with "luxury" interior (real wood, leather, etc), convert the original inline 6 to fuel injection (originality, not practicality) and mate it to a 5 or 6 speed, and fully independant suspension. I don't plan on any body mods on the outside, stock looking except for the wheels. I have a business that I'm starting in my free time and think this would be a neat vehicle to bring to shows someday representing my company. It's all in my head at this point, and probably won't be worked on for a while but I'm just trying to learn before I break out the tools.

ericmattessich
10-20-2013, 03:43 AM
1a. No
1b. Measured a C5, I've done a lot of research and couldn't find the frame pickup points anywhere onldidn't I didnt need my measurements to be perfect because I am fabbing some custom a-arms
2a and b. Didnt use the torque tube setup at all. Used the factory rear setup
3. This is one of those nebulous questions that can't be answered without the suspension geometry.
4. A-arms are fairly easy to build and to get the handling you want you will need to have something custom. I believe you can also get a-arms prebuilt from a bunch of places if you are not into fabbing them up yourself

Hope that helps. Good luck with your project

mitch_04
10-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks for your reply. I had believed the C5 rear differential couldn't be used without the torque tube. How did you get a pinion yoke on it?

Seems that you believe it'd be better to just purchase the spindles/brake assembly and make the a-arms. Good to know.

Would love it if others kicked in as well, can't have too much information!

ericmattessich
10-20-2013, 08:07 PM
I didn't use a vette rear end. Only the front suspension. Btw if you decide to go this route I have a c5 spindle for sale.

Ppd1979
10-21-2013, 07:03 PM
If you look further in suspension forum, the pick up points are in a thread.
Sorry cant tell you exactly where.

astroracer
10-22-2013, 02:44 AM
When you start moving components around you need to go back to square one with your suspension design. Different wheel bases, track widths and steering racks require different pick up points and angles to make the "new" suspension work as intended. A good suspension design will be built around the steering rack inner pivot points. Starting with a C5 rack you can design any suspension around it. Knowing HOW to get there is just part of the process. Knowing WHAT relationships need to be maintained and adhered to is another. Bump steer, anti-dive, ackerman and roll center all come into play and they are all related. Change one and you change them all. Most times this is NOT for the better....
Check out Performance Trends. They have a very nice suspension design program that will give you all of the C5 pick up points.
http://performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm
The trial version is free for a few days. Keep in mind the program is not intuitive and it will require some research and knowledge on your part to design a one off suspension that will work and not be an ill handling monster.
Mark

mitch_04
10-22-2013, 09:23 AM
I have the trial, but I am now saving for the full. I'm thinking I may just use the uprights and design the rest. It is a ways down the road, just in my head for now. Thought I'd just get some suggestions.

Thanks everyone.