PDA

View Full Version : New Steering Box- Header Replacement

jptonks
10-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Hello All,

I hope that steering questions can be posted in the suspension category.

I just purchasrd a redone (3 years ago) 1969 Camaro.The power steering box looks like a stock piece and I am considering upgrading to a DES 600 or Lee Manufacturing upgrade. The car is street driven only.

The rebuilt small block engine has Hedman headers and the the cylinder #5 header tube passes by the stock steering box with 1/6 inch clearance (maybe less). I am concerned that an upgraded steering box will interfere with the #5 header tube even worse.

I am convinced that a steering upgrade is important to my overall enjoyment of the car. Do I have to go to shorty style headers or does someone make long tube headers that will clear these aftermarket steering boxes?

Can I reuse the stock steering linkage as long as there is no slop aanywhere? Will 12.7 steering ratio be too sensitive for a street car and should I look for something closer to 14.0?

Who would have guessed that a steering box upgrade would cost so much when you throw in new headers.

Thanks for your help.

John T.

Tom Welch
10-05-2013, 08:31 AM
A new set of longtube headers may be in your future. A steering upgrade is a good idea, you can use several different gearboxes to improve on the stock steering. 78-81 Trans am ws6 box, I believe an 80's Monte Carlos gearbox will work , too. You mentioned Lee Manufacturing and DSE. One of these will do the trick with DSE and Lee being the better options. If your steering linkage is tight then use it, a 12.7 ratio is quicker than the 14.0 so consider that in your plans. But not so much that you would be worried about it, it is an improvement. As for headers there are many, Lemons, Stainless Works even a new set of Hedman's may be an improvement over an older design, Patriot is another quality brand.

mincharlie
10-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I think your best bet is to send your 800 box to Tom lee and have him build it. I put one of Tom's 600 boxes in my 69 bbc and had to adjust the header ;) and a little grinding on the new box. I know the 600 box saves some weight but for the fit issues it's a lot easier to work with the 800 box. And if I remember right Tom said he can get the 800 box to feel really good as well. The 12.7 feels pretty good to me.