PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leaf Replacement

firebob
10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Have decided it's time to replace the rear leafs in the bird. Question is, if I replace them with springs with a 175lb spring rate instead of the 125lb springs that the car was built with, will it be too harsh for the street?
It's 80% street with the occasional track day(a couple times a year). I do tend to run it hard even on the street but like having it too low it ends up being a compromise around town.
Opinions from anybody running stronger springs on the street would be helpful.

Robert

Rod
10-04-2013, 12:29 PM
you'll be fine Bob, the harshness comes from the shock dampening, if you use what you have now the ride will be very close to the same

Quikbrd
10-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Bob,
I run the Hotchkis rear leafs 1 1/2 drop, the stance on my car looks just right to me and like Rod said, the shocks are going to set your ride quality

1966longroof
10-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Don't forget the a Quality Set of Bushings!

firebob
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Well I will be going from the 45 year old sagging, wore out springs that were 125lbs from the factory to new 175lb spring set so I would think it's going to cahnge it somewhat.

Roy, you did a whole bunch of undercarrage work lately, did you replace the leafs? Mine sits a bit lower that yours does I think. I can run some 1" blocks but I really don't want to go anymore than that. I'm looking at some springs with a 5" arch. I'm not sure what the arch was on stock springs.

Robert

Quikbrd
10-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Bob,
Yes, the Hotchkis 1 1/2 drop springs were actually a little higher than the original stock worn out ones were. I think they have settled a little now and of course, I've gotten used to the ride height and really like it. I don't think I could have gotten by with any lower in the rear because it would have been lower than the front, which on my car was too low, had to raise it back up an inch (riding on the jounce bumpers), I got my springs from summit, I found the best price on the web first, the called Summit, had them match the price and got free shipping, plus they had them in stock, killer deal!