PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering box, power steering resevoir, BBC, convert to metric, LS future proof?

cactuss4
08-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Okay, I do need to welcome the new to me 1966 Chevelle at some point, but right now I've taken delivery and started looking at a few things. Currently it looks good, has some high dollar under pinnings, but doesn't feel all that safe to drive.

So I'm looking to replace my steering box and I've read lots and lots of posts, Lee manufacturing, Jeep GC boxes, conversion pieces needed #200 Rag Joint from Autozone,Flared Seat Adapters etc. But instead of going through all of that.

Is there a power steering pump/res, that will mount to my BBC , that has metric connections that will allow me to install a Jeep GC box without any of the flared seat adapters? I know I'll still need a Rag joint (for stock column). But honestly the column is going to have to come out, so in reality I'm looking for a new column, upgraded Steering Box and a power steering pump that will work with the current BBC and work with the future LS conversion.

I want this car to drive, handle, steer as close to my newer cars as possible, but still have the heart and soul of the classic.

I have adjustable suspension, tubular A-Arms, 6pot front and 4 pot rear Willwoods, Willwood master cylinder and I a nice custom Moser rear end. I think the underpinnings have the chance to meet my goals, but the steering feels pretty bad.

And I will be at some point doing an LS conversion, so anything I buy now, it would be nice if I could use it with the BBC now and not have to toss or change for the LS3 (I guess a $100 item is not that bad, if I have to replace), but the $300-$500 column and the GC Gear box need to remain. I would like to drive my car for a bit , before I rip the guts out for the conversion.

Thanks!

Tory

alocker
08-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I think I understand your question so here goes.

Your current pump might be fine. You can upgrade the valve for better flow cheaply just in case. Install the adapter fittings and go. If you need a column and rag, that will stay the same. All you will have to do when you upgrade the motor is have a set of lines made.

jamier2
08-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I did exactly what you are talking about. From what I learned in the process (I'm putting my LS in now):

Mine didn't future proof as well as I'd hoped it would. I couldn't find a way to mount a LS pump so my replacement pump (I think I ended up with a 1990 Camaro ps pump) was just extra crap to get rid of when I pulled the old engine. At least it was only about 30 bucks from Auto Zone.

I was not able to reuse the modern PS pressure hose I had got that worked with my old small block set up. I replaced the old one with a 2001 Corvette pressure hose today and it seems to work well.

I am still very glad I didn't go with the adaptors and all that since I'm not sure you can get them back off the GC box once they're in there.

I didn't do all that much to my 66 before I jumped head first into the LS / T56 Magnum swap, but I sure enjoyed the power steering upgrade.

jamier2
08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I did exactly what you are talking about. From what I learned in the process (I'm putting my LS in now):

Mine didn't future proof as well as I'd hoped it would. I couldn't find a way to mount a LS pump so my replacement pump (I think I ended up with a 1990 Camaro ps pump) was just extra crap to get rid of when I pulled the old engine. At least it was only about 30 bucks from Auto Zone.

I was not able to reuse the modern PS pressure hose I had got that worked with my old small block set up. I replaced the old one with a 2001 Corvette pressure hose today and it seems to work well.

I am still very glad I didn't go with the adaptors and all that since I'm not sure you can get them back off the GC box once they're in there.

I didn't do all that much to my 66 before I jumped head first into the LS / T56 Magnum swap, but I sure enjoyed the power steering upgrade.

cactuss4
08-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Would be interested if you had more info, pn's or anything. I actually just picked up a GC steering box, and as you said, if it's a $30 throw away or a lose of 50% if selling that would be cool. As I'm with you on the uncertainty of pulling those adaptor things out!

But this is the road I'm headed down. So any tips would be helpful:)

Thanks
Tory

jamier2
08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
I didn't write down the part numbers. I'm almost certain I used a 1990 camaro pump - basically I went to auto zone and looked at a few to find one with mounts that were similar to the older style. I think the pressure hose was 86 Monte Carlo. I just looked at a few until I found one I thought would work.

I probably lost $45 (pump and hose) but it was worth it.

jamier2
08-30-2013, 04:33 PM
On the pump, they're all very similar if they have metric hose fittings. I think it was around 85-86 when they changed over.