PDA

View Full Version : Chevy C10 swaybar interchangability

fbody_mike
08-14-2013, 03:55 PM
I have a 70 Chevy C10 that I am now using as my DD, but it does not have a front sway bar, never did, GM did not put one on. So my question is, what years will interchange with a 70 C10 2WD in regards to front sway bars? I have heard 67 to 87 were all the same for the front bars, but I wanted some confirmation before I start hunting. Any input is appreciated as with my heavy foot and the little canyon I drive daily I feel like this truck is going to roll over on itself.

Jon @ Hotchkis
08-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Hey Mike, I know that our front sway bar will fit a 63-72, and I believe it will fit up to an 87, but we haven't confirmed this. I do see some sway bars listed for sale that "Fit 63-87 models", take that for what it may be.

What canyon road do you get to drive daily?

fbody_mike
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Jon. From what I can tell so far the shape seems to be common, but the end-links vary, some use a bolt end link, and others use a large bushing. I think I have enough confidence to roam the junk yards for some mid 80s Chevys. I want this truck to handle better, but I also do not want it to take too much from my Firebird's budget.

My little daily canyon run is through La Habra Heights, and sometimes through Turnbull, lots of fun if trafffic is light.

Jon @ Hotchkis
08-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Very cool, Mike. We are right here in Santa Fe Springs, so you are pretty local. Turnbull is good fun, but too short...

AJohn6
08-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I have a '71 C10 when I ordered all my parts for it a few years ago I put 73-87 UCAs and LCAs. If there is a cut off date I would say it is 73. The thing is that the crossmember is the same the only difference between 67-72 and 73-87 that I know of is the tie rod size, upper/lower balljoint and the brakes. You may be able to get away with using a 73-87 sway bar on your '70 with a little bit of modification to the LCAs.

If you have any questions about this you could call or email Nate Porter at http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/

MonzaRacer
08-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Use one off a one ton and you might just want to road course it,,,:)

custom 68
08-22-2013, 10:04 AM
I believe all the "factory" ones mount directly with the D looking bushing to the lower a-arm. I know alot of the "aftermarket" performance ones use an end link. I understand that is better but you probably cant go to a salvage yard and pickup one on the cheap. Those would come from one of the vendors. Mine is still using the Factory one. The say the end link ones are less prone to binding. I don't know. I do believe any up to the 87 should work. You will just need to get the bushing to match the diameter of the bar.

RobNoLimit
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Any factory bar from a 63-87 will swap over. But, you will need the front drop mount for the chassis, and the D straps for the A-arms. All 73-87 LCA have the sway bar bolt holes, some 63-72's have, and some don't. Most aftermarket sway bars use an end link. Some require a mount hole to be drilled in the LCA. Also, Some front bars, like ours, mount directly to the frame rail, without the drop mounts. This can be a plus on a lowered truck. For rear bars, take a good look at how they mount. Some mount under the trailing arms, which makes it the lowest thing on the truck. It's worth a look.

fbody_mike
08-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks again guys for all the info. I am hoping do some hunting Friday. I am going to bring some chisels in hopes of finding the drop mounts. My LCA do not have the wholes drilled either. I am sure all the effort will be worth it.

custom 68
08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Mike, if you are like me and like to build things check out this link for a rear mount option. I did this on my truck a few years back and I like the improvement. I recently changed the rear springs to some softer ones so I have not re ran this thru its paces.
Installing a Camaro Rear Sway Bar on your truck (http://www.low69cst.freeservers.com/CamaroBar.htm)

bdiamond
08-31-2013, 04:46 AM
You don't need the frame stands. Its probably better if you don't use them. They hang pretty low...