PDA

View Full Version : AIRoverLeaf in a 1969 f-100 with an axle flip.

48prerunner
07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
I have a 1969 ford f-100 with a 2013 coyote waiting to go in. In the rear I have an axle flip with 2.5" wide leaf springs. With my axle flip I have about 2" Of suspension travel I would like to avoid doing a c notch. I was wondering if I installed a AIRoverLeaf system if I could raise my ride height so I'd have more suspension travel I also wonder if it would help with tuning the handling. I know a four link would probably be better, but I'm still weighing in the cost vs benefit in handling. Very rarely would the truck have any load in it other than the 31 gal tank mounted behind the rear axle. Probably wouldn't see any track time other than at a right coast or good guy event. I'd just like it to stick on the corners on the street.

What would really be great is if there was way to get air up front. I have a 2006 crown victoria front suspension. it's the Pi version so has the 700lbs springs I'l planning on putting in eaton 1 1/2" lowering springs but have found that Airlift Slam Air air shocks in long length with a stem upper mount can be adapted.

The rear is more of my concern now as I really would like to avoid the c notch to gain the suspension travel. I would have to come up into the bed floor 3" to restore strength to the frame after the notch. pic below is my ride height now without the weight of the gas tank.

marolf101x
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
I posted this in our forum as well:

An AirOverLeaf will allow you to raise the ride height, but at the cost of added spring rate.
If you have a ride quality you like now, if you just add the AOL it may be too stiff.
If your ride quality right now is too soft, you may be right on the money by adding the AOL.
If your ride quality now is too stiff, you will be even worse with the AOL.

If it's too stiff, and you have multiple leafs left in the spring pack you can always remove one or two to reduce the spring rate from the leafs and add it back with the AOL.

As for the Crown Vic front. . .we may have something in the future. This is one of those OE applications I'd like to cover as they are becoming quite common in swaps.

48prerunner
08-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks this is just the info I need to go forward, I didn't know if everybody would be in Louisville at the NSRA Nationals. I wasn't able to go this year. I tried doing searches and everything I was finding was from four to seven years ago. I like the idea of the adaptability of ride height and and stiffness. I have no problem with taking leafs out, I'm this low with a full pack.

From what I've read the bags would be the same as used in 4 link? So this winter I could switch to a 4 link and my controls and compressor tank etc could possible work, if I'm not in love with the AOL?

Probably go with a 2-way Analog Compressor, that would give the ability to level the truck and prevent transfer from air from oneside to the other in turns?

marolf101x
08-01-2013, 07:10 AM
The air springs are not exactly the same as used in the 4-link (they are smaller as you have a leaf spring providing some spring rate). So if you upgrade to the 4-link you might as well upgrade to the Shockwaves (especially if you put Shockwaves on the front). Shockwaves also make the 4-link install easier (all our "universal" 4-links are designed to use Shockwaves).

The compressor package depends on if you plan to upgrade int the future.
If you don't plan on upgrading for a while you could run the basic analog "override" system that doesn't use a tank:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/small-overload-style-compressor-kit-dual-switch.html

However, if you have plans of changing it up in the next couple of years you'll want to get the next step up which gives you electronic valves, a bigger compressor, and a storage tank:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/2-way-analog-compressor-package.html
This kit has a single analog gauge (with dual needles so you can see two air spring pressures), and will control only two air springs.
You can run this for a while, then add another analog gauge, the switches, and another valve when you add the front.

If you have plans of doing the front as well you should just get a 4-way system now, and only use two air springs:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/ridepro-standard-analog-4-way-system.html
This way you have all you need. You just add Shockwaves to the front and plug them in.

48prerunner
09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the support I have one more question before I pull the trigger on the airover leaf. The system listed for my truck Part # 19003002 35-03 ford truck and ranger. is same part number as 3000lb sideframe / 2.5" leaf bracket kit. This will work on my truck as I have upgraded to 2.5" leaves, but am I reading the instructions correctly that at ride height I would need 8-9" of height for the 90009000 Tapered sleeve air spring bag? - I'm going to go check now to see if I have that much room if not is it possible to get a F9002 or F9003 bag as they seem to have similar specs except ride height and max height?

I checked looks like it will fit if that is the installed height at ride height.