PDA

View Full Version : How much suspension travel total do most 4 link rear suspensions give?

CTSV
07-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Im talking about various designs from companies such as ridetech and dse, chasssiworks etc.

curious to know how much travel up and down do these four links give and how much does the differential pinion move upwards under full load. Seems the few systems i have tried or worked on move very little and if any differential pinion movement under load.

reason i ask this is i currently have a dse 4 link with panhard bar and just putting the car up on jackstands loading the rear it seems to only have 1 inch of movement. My car is far from ready to drive but i wonder how this will translate into ride quality or bounce quality on the street.

astroracer
07-31-2013, 04:35 AM
To get a true idea of the actual suspension travel you will need to remove the springs and run the suspension through jounce and rebound and measure how far it moves.
"On the road" travel depends on shock travels and spring rates. What size shocks and springs are in the DSE kit? I try to design to at least 4" of jounce and 3" of rebound. Spring rate will determine "pre-travel" (the amount the spring compresses when the weight of the vehicle is applied) in a suspension. A higher spring rate will induce a harsher ride quality then a lower rate. Stiffer springs can use a shorter shock as they don't require as much "compression" to do the work. There are trade offs either way, changing spring rates is part of the art of tuning these suspensions.
Mark

Carl @ Chassisworks
07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Our gBar and gLink canted 4-bar rear systems use 5.15" travel VariShock bodies with a 12" spring for good ride quality. Wheel travel will depend on how wide the housing is. As was stated above, to find out your wheel travel, you need to pull the springs and run the shocks through their travel.