PDA

View Full Version : is it just me, or does anybody else have a thing for salt water aquariums ??

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
this has become a bad habit of mine.
hmmmm, here is what i got......lol !
all salt water.

3 clarkii clownfish
2 tomato clownfish
2 niger triggerfish
1 pinktail triggerfish
1 bursa triggerfish
1 pineapple triggerfish
1 bluefin angelfish
3 flame angelfish
1 large dogface pufferfish
2 coral beauty angelfish
1 large powder brown tang
2 medium regal (hippo) tangs
1 large naso tang
1 flame hawkfish
2 rusty angelfish
1 large lionfish (like the on deuce bigalow)
1 yellow tang
2 sailfin tangs
1 purple tang
3 green chromis fish
1 dragon wrasse
1 large passer angelfish
1 large regal angelfish
1 foxface
1 parrot fish
1 lemonpeel angel fish
1 small scopus tang
2 blue/yellow pigme angel fish

a few others i can't think of right of the top of my head......lol!

tanks !
190 gal.
150 gal.
60 gal.
55 gal.
37 gal.

The tank on the left is a 190 gal acrylic with center overflow. the tank on the right is the 150 gal. glass one.

jy211
08-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I used to...I had a 44gal tank....cost me some $$$$, got rid of it....now I am thinking about getting another one.....

TonyL
08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
i had a salt water tank, the worst thing I ever did was add a 10 yr old lionfish to the mix. he ate everything in the tank and tryed to eat the sea apple, which killed him and the apple. talk about money down the toilet!

(edit) damn filter.

Larry Callahan
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Well, I've got

2 Orange Percula Clowns (nemo)
1 Purple Fire Fish
1 Niger Trigger
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
Leather Coral, Green Torch, lots of ricordia mushrooms, green star polyps, feather duster, hermit crabs, snails, bristle worms (I can't get rid of), cleaner shrimp, 2 bubble corals and I'm sure a few other items.

It is addicting and great for the blood pressure. We so need a larger tank!

Here is a pic of one of the 2 tanks

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=865

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
lol!
yeah, if i listed all the anenomes, live coral, shrimp, starfish and snails.....that would be another huge list....lol! :rolleyes5

jy211
08-25-2005, 11:18 AM
nice looking tank Larry! :cheers:

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
yeah larry......look very good and colorful !

Larry Callahan
08-25-2005, 11:25 AM
They are cool, expensive and relaxing. That's why we just have 2 twelve gallon Nanocubes. At one point I think we had 4 or 5 small SW and FW tanks in the house. lol

Here is another pic

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=864

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
They are cool, expensive and relaxing. That's why we just have 2 twelve gallon Nanocubes. At one point I think we had 4 or 5 small SW and FW tanks in the house. lol

larry,
you ever looked at the message forum at www.reefcentral.com :naughty: :naughty:
tons of info over there !

btw, looks like the purple-up is taking hold in your tank pretty good !

Larry Callahan
08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Those are even older pics. That purple coraline allege has grown like mad. I can't even read the thermometers anymore. lol

yody
08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
heres a pic of my freshwater, i have 2 puffers, a black shark, and a pike, sal****er is too much trouble!@
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://imageshack.us)

kmcanally
08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
i had a sal****er tank...

LOL! :rotfl:

I kinda liked the old and unimproved Yody.....

mdprovee
08-25-2005, 01:08 PM
I had a salt water 100 gal tank about 12 years ago. Soooo relaxing. Sold it because I didnt want to move it. Am considering getting back in, but the money needs to go to the car first.

Mike

69rs
08-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Nice tanks but couldn't that money be spent on pro-touring?!?! For shame!:squint:

cham
08-25-2005, 03:02 PM
i had a sal****er tank

Heh heh, owned by the auto edit. The word "T W A T" gotcha

I loved my salt water. I had a huge lion fish about 3 lbs or so a huge naso tang and a small shark. I miss it now.

MuscleRodz
08-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Quit talking about fish and finish the Nova!!!! :slap: I know, I know, :getout:

Mike

steemin
08-25-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a 1000 acre freshwater "tank" out my front door.
It has bass,bluegill,pike,walleye and other misc. fish.
Very difficult to get an exact count.
I can even pee in my "tank" if I am so inclined..
I know T.M.I.
Scott

Raptor Pilot
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I have a Red Tailed South American Catfish (Amazon) in a 20 gal. right now, but will eventually need a minimum 180 gal. at full adult size which can top out between 5-6 ft. Good lookin' fish, and I wanted to raise one from baby stage, so he's only 4 inches right now but they grow like crazy. Haven't gotten into salt water setups yet, and grew up with fresh waters. I don't need the extra work just now.

Bill Howell
08-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I know T.M.I.
Scott

Kinda hard to keep the PH right if you are peeing in it! :lmao:
I hope you don't decide to go salt water with your tank, you will need stock in Morton if you do.
Yeah, I know :getout:

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 10:57 PM
I know T.M.I.
Scott

ROTFLMAO !!!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Quit talking about fish and finish the Nova!!!! :slap: I know, I know, :getout:

Mike

it'll be around november or december before i get back to the nova, but when i do.....watch out !

zbugger
08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
it'll be around november or december before i get back to the nova, but when i do.....watch out !
For what? A fish tank in the rear window?

TRILOGYZ28
08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
For what? A fish tank in the rear window?

I was thinking more along the lines of a console to trunk tank ! :slap:

zbugger
08-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a console to trunk tank ! :slap:
Pimp yo ride foo!!!!! :thankyou:

indyjps
08-25-2005, 11:46 PM
had a pretty good fresh water tank going but when i moved it didnt work out in the new house, gave my fish away. the guy i gave them to keeps wanting to give me 2 giant turtles that live in his basement, anyone interested

TRILOGYZ28
08-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Pimp yo ride foo!!!!! :thankyou:

werd YO !

trapin
08-26-2005, 06:56 AM
I just got started in the tank hobby. I bought a 10 gallon freshwater tank back in January and am taking this year to teach myself how to care for the tank and the fish. I have 2 Serpea Tetras, 1 Blue Gouramie, 1 Red Eye'd Tetra, 1 Green Sword, and a Black Pleco.

Fish that are no longer with us...

1 Black L/T Molly
2 Red Wag Platty's
1 Tourquoise Gouramie
1 Yellow Cory

Hey, I'm a beginner...cut me some slack.

The tank is a bitch to keep balanced. My phosphates and ammonia are always out of whack. Also....the Blue Gouramie and the black Plecko that I bought in April have doubled in size. I want to keep them but I fear the Plecko isn't getting enough to eat so I'm dropping algae tablets in there every few days or so. The Gouramie is getting so big he eats like a horse and muscles the other fish off the surface when they try to eat. I do a water change about twice a month and change the filter each time as well. Because the the Gouramie and his EXTREMELY regular bowel movements, I've had to purchase a siphon to filter out the rocks each time.

It has definitely been a learning experience. Next year I'd like to graduate to a 60-80 gallon tank. Freshwater.....I am no where near ready for salt water. Both experience-wise and financially.

YoungGun
08-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah I could make a long list of the salt water fish I have had too...but it would be a list of dead fish!!! I just got rid of my last tank...spent over a year having some fun with too much money into it, and going away to college just took its toll. Maybe when I am older, they are hard to keep up!

Tim

yody
08-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I never check anything in my tank, just change the water once every 2 months, every now and then a fish croaks but whatever, anyone need a babysitter?

MuscleRodz
08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Hell I can't even keep a gold fish alive more than a few months. Last one committed suicide by trying to swim down the tube that the bubbles come from. I guess drinking and swimming don't mix.

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Those pics Larry posted are so nice I think I will have to use them on my desktop as a new wallpaper. Just beautiful!

Ralph LoGrasso
08-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I used to be pretty big into fresh-water tanks. The carniverous fish always interested me, and so that's what I often kept. Fish I had worth mentioning:

(2) Red Devils
(2) Fresh Water Wolf Fish
(1) Tiger Oscar
(1) Red Oscar
(1) Black & White Convict

and many, many more that I can't remember. I spent many days in ponds, rivers and lakes catching, netting and grabbing various fish, reptiles, and amphibians. Most of the time I kept 'em for a while and let them go. I also kept lots of turtles when I was younger. I had about 12 baby snapping turtles, and Aligator Snapper, a florida soft-shell, a few red-ear sliders, a few yellow-ear sliders, a couple of eastern box turtles and a bunch more. A few years ago a friend and myself caught a Northern Diamond Back Terrapin while claming in the sound. Very cool turtle. I was going to keep it, but decided since it needed brackish water, I'd just let it go. They're a pretty rare turtle around here, so it was cool to catch. I've always wanted to try my hand at salt water tanks, but never had the coin or the time.

CraigMorrison
08-27-2005, 04:05 PM
So, do any of you guys SCUBA dive? While I don't have a tank, I recognize most of the names from what I have seen under water in the "big tank". It would be fun to have a salt water tank, but money & maintence has held me back.

steemin
08-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I am a certified diver.
Only get to dive 1-2X/year.
Awesome good time.
Nothing cooler and more relaxing than diving in crystal clear water with the fishey's.
Scott

FSTFBDY
08-28-2005, 09:39 AM
I have a 125g I need to finish again.

Here are some pic's of a few things.
A Library that has a arch way sw tank.
a local shop with a few sharks etc.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/saltwatertank/