PDA

View Full Version : Quick ratio steering box

protouring70
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know what box will bolt up to improve steering on a '72 c10

wiedemab
06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I just bought an AGR box and pump for my '72 Suburban. I spoke to someone at AGR about it and they recommended the following item.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/agr-204317

They were good to talk to, but I would recommend buying the box through someone like Summit that has it sitting on the shelf. I originally ordered direct and their lead time was way too long - --- Summit was also cheaper, which I found out after the fact. I ended up buying a new pump too, just to be safe. I'm hoping to have it installed this weekend, so I'll try to check back in and let you know.

I also installed CPP front and year sway bars (just last weekend) - -that makes a pretty big difference too.

custom 68
06-27-2013, 10:30 AM
one other thing to maybe think about is swapping to a rack and pinion. Nolimit has a conversion for these trucks and looks pretty slick. It will be quite a bit more than the option above so it may not make sense to spend that much. I have a hard time justifying it since I dont need a new steering box. I did replace mine with a similar one several years ago.
Again this will be alot more costly but you might look into it.
I certainly would like to try it out.

wiedemab
06-28-2013, 04:19 AM
I considered the NoLimit setup, but for my Suburban opted for the less costly - new steering box. I've seen several people AutoX'ing truck with Rob's parts (NoLimit) and it performs really well.

hag6888
06-30-2013, 02:47 PM
What's the benefit of runing quick ratio steering

protouring70
07-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Less turning lock to lock. Meaning you only have to turn 2 turns or less to lock the steering left or right versus 4 turns

Guyt699
07-01-2013, 05:20 AM
If you are looking to find something used, I thought this was a good reference: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/09/01/hmn_feature21.html

I know in my 1990 454ss it is a 12.7:1 ratio. Hope this helps.

wiedemab
07-01-2013, 05:24 AM
What's the benefit of runing quick ratio steering

It all depends on what you are going for. My Suburban drove like an old Farmall tractor!!! I was considering putting a speed knob on the steering wheel! ;)

In all seriousness, my hope is to make it drive more like a modern truck. The variable ratio box that I listed above is similar to what newer trucks run.

wiedemab
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
I just thought I'd update that I got around to driving the Suburban for the first time since the swap today. It drives much nicer. The steering is more firm and quicker (obviously), but it drives and steers a lot more like a newer truck.

For the money, I'd say this is a mod that I would recommend for a truck that will be driving much.

custom 68
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
That is great news. Thanks for the update.

Quickboat
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
If you are looking to find something used, I thought this was a good reference: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/09/01/hmn_feature21.html

I know in my 1990 454ss it is a 12.7:1 ratio. Hope this helps.

This atrticle is great and is the best bang for the buck. I have one in my 67 and it was like a new car after installing the late T/A box.

70.5CamaroRS
07-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Another option is to have your existing steering box rebuilt and upgraded by Lee Manufacturing in Sun Valley, ca. He can upgrade your box however you like including steering ratio and valving and includes warranty.

I sent him my steering box and pump to upgrade to a "pro touring" style for a 70 Camaro. When he got the box i sent him he told me I had the wrong one for my car. Someone must have swapped it out. He said he had the correct one out back and swapped it at no cost. They clean and paint everything and include new hardware. They even Dyno out with you pump before sending it back. The warranty is 2 years. I think it was less than $600 for everything and that included shipping.

Chris

bovey
07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
AGR just built me a race box for my '71 GMC. The also matched a pump, sent the lines, fittings and cooler. They were super great to deal with. It's all just being installed at the moment - I'll report back after I hit the track this week-end. The tech guy is Matt, he is super helpful and can point you in a direction that works for you.